Mount Forgotten Meadows Trail

Mount Forgotten Meadows Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, WA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Verlot: Travel east along the Mt. Loop Highway, 16.6 miles to the trailhead on the left (north) side of the highway. Note that the old trailhead, Perry Creek on FS road 4063, has been permanently closed.

Great hike and challenging enough to prepare for mountain climbing expeditions. Amazing views from the Meadows and from the peak

This was a calorie workout, with stunning views and great payoffs. Coffee on top taste so much better up there!

Little payoff for the effort. The views were great, but not stunning. A good portion of the first half of the hike is exposed, so use sunscreen. Bring plenty of water because there is really only one water source. I used my filter to refill two hikers' bladder because they were sharing and ran out of water.

This is a seductive hike that draws you in at the beginning and measures your stamina for the last couple of miles. Went up yesterday with my dog (I guess leash laws don't apply on hikes because no one else used one) and we were at the waterfall in about 45 minutes or less. You walk through a fairly open area as you wind your way along the river which you can hear the whole time. As you get near the waterfall, you get into the forest. Crossing a series of streams was really no problem and I didn't need gaiters. From then on the real work begins as you go in and out of old growth and the trail get infinitely steeper as well a bit harder to follow. About mile or so before the end of the meadows, you encounter the snow. At no point did I need crampons or snowshoes, but the trail gets completely covered and if you don't know where you are going or can't follow the footsteps ahead of you, believe me you will be lost very quickly. There were several times where the steps went back and forth as the people ahead of me must have realized that what they thought was a trail was not. As you ascend you can see the deep blue sky getting closer and then all of a sudden you what are the meadows. The view is spectacular and I found it much more imposing than Dickerman. Once you navigate through the first meadow it opens up into a second which takes you to the edge of the plateau. From there, you can see Mt. Forgotten as well as other snow capped mountains (I'm not Magellan so I don't know their names). About twenty feet from the end, there are a few solitary trees and stumps which were dry and an ideal place to sit and have lunch. By the time you hit the meadows, you are walking across deep snow and at times you will sink to your calf or higher, but not if you're following someone's tracks. It took us almost four hours to get to our lunch spot and about an hour and a half (we were sometimes running) to get to the bottom. Reviewing the photos in the hot tub was the best part!

The trail was snow free until about the last mile. Very light snow up to the overlook and then deeper snow in the meadows. Snowshoes weren't needed but micro-spikes would make it easier on the way down. Views from the meadows were amazing. Big peaks in every direction including Glacier Peak. I almost turned around at the overlook not knowing where the meadows were. Luckily I found some tracks in the snow that lead through the woods and after another 10 minutes made it to the meadows where the views just got better.

With all the other amazing trails to do in WA this one doesn't rank high in my list. I was expecting more from the meadows so felt like it was a lot of work for a little pay off. If you scramble, which I don't then the added distance of summiting Mt Forgotten my be worth it to you. If you take your pups, BRING WATER. There were precious few water sources for the furry children If you aren't in better than decent shape it is a harder trail with 3000' of gain in less than 4 miles. The trail itself is in ok condition. Coming down is hard on the knees with the rocks and roots. You will have a few scree fields that ill be in the sun and hot on nice days. All in all an OK hike not one I will ever do again though.

This was a very diverse hike. It went between very rocky & sun soaked to shady & moss covered trail. One thing that was ever present through-out this hike were Deer Flies, and boy were they hungry!! Although this hike has a very gradual climb, this hike kicked my butt!! I was so ready to cool off at Perry Creek before heading up to the falls. Too much energy was spent running from or smacking my hungry little trail partners, I also was not being as careful as I should, and ended up rolling my darn ankle and hobbled down the last 3 miles. Would I hike this one again? Yes.... the scenery was amazing. I look forward going past the falls to the meadow next time.