Mount Rose Trail

Mount Rose Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, WA that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 3 miles to the trailhead on the right side of the road.

very very difficult trail.
we made it to just pass the start of the loop and ended up turning around.
there are quite a few good views from mid way points but everyone who made it to the top said it was way better than any other view along the trail.

mentally and physically prepare yourself for this hike. it starts off on a steady incline that doesnt look to bad but its constant and just gets steeper along the way. also bring bug spray!

Fabulous!!! One of the best so far, challenging but perfect; once on top, it is almost just you in the mountain. Not a frequented trail. If you have fragile feet, bring band aids or soft socks, hiking boots definitively recommended.

6/29/2016: This trail was the steepest I've done in the PNW after being here two months. I have climbed mailbox peak, Granite Mountain, and Silver Peak… All took longer, but were not as steep.

This hike in my opinion is definitely a conditioner, is not a scenic...And sadly, there was heavy fog today which started lifting as I was nearing completion

My opinion may be biased and partial to the Snoqualmie area because I absolutely love being up top of those peaks… Although the fog really hindered my opinion at the top of Mount Rose. Going to try some others in the Olympic Park area… but this will not be one that I repeat

Trail conditions were fine, no snow, there were signs posted at the trailhead regarding a fire 10 years ago, but I saw a little debris affecting the use of the trail.

this trail is not for the faint of hearted. it starts off decent but almost instantly takes you up as you begin to climb with countless switchbacks going ever higher. I did a night hike, started around 1 am and got back to base around 730. We ended up spending some time at the top because of the views.

4/23/16 - What an incredibly fulfilling hike. Great views along the way. I would rate it about 3.5 out of 5 stars in regards to difficulty. This hike does not rival the Mailbox peak old trail; however, it is a great work out. If you are not conditioned or are a beginner, you may struggle.

The snow is mostly gone. Any snow left you can easily follow previous footsteps or pay attention to trail markers without getting lost.

Again, great hike with great scenery. I'm definitely adding this to my top five favorites.

This was a good hike with a great climb. I didn't make it to the top due to having some beginners but it was awesome views and a nice fall/creek.

Fun hike! great views and a very challenging workout. did this hike on 04/16/2016. there is still snow for about 1/4 of the hike. easily navigated without cramp-ons or spikes, although I did fall on my butt a couple times. The hike is nearly as challenging as Mailbox peak so be prepared to work!

Hiked today. Be prepared to be going uphill at about a 60 degree angle the whole time. Couldn't do the summit loop completely because we didn't wear proper shoes or have poles. Awesome hike though!! Gonna come back with my gear!

One of my favorite trails because it is accessible year round. In winter snowshoes/Microspikes may be needed. I hiked this October 22, 2015. It was a beautiful summer like day.

If you like switchback this is the trail for you!

Did this hike with my bf yesterday. Saw this trail was pretty close to our house, and sadly that was about the only research we did. It is all up hill. The hike we found was not too hard until we passed where the loop meets up. From there the trail was very steep with lots of loose rocks. But once we got to the top, we realized all our hard work was worth it. Beware; downhill is not such a breeze either. Very steep going down. Wish we had a pole, would have made a world of a difference.

Almost all up hill... Hard hike and great views a the end!

Don't listen to what other people are saying about there not being a view, they obviously aren't hiking far enough. I was greeted with one of the most breathtaking views, including a view of mount Rainier in the distance. Pretty steep hike, but well worth it in my opinion.

Very steep, not much of a view. Didn't make it to the top because of sunlight but planning on going back. It was really cloudy couldn't see anything through the trees. But it was an excellent workout! Went up to 3,000 elevation really quickly and the switch backs are killer!

Hiked Mount Rose for the first time last weekend. It's Monday, and my quads are real tender. I enjoyed this hike for the challenge, but the summit views were a little disappointing--don't get me wrong, it's still a really great view. I read somewhere that Mount Rose is kind of like the middle sister of Olympic mountains. There isn't a clear summit view. The summit loop provided the best scenery! Barely any snow on the trail, no need for any special footwear because of it.

Beautiful scenery AND a killer workout. The switchbacks up to the summit loop left my calves aching for a couple of days, so take breaks to stretch! We were the only people on the trail on a Tuesday, and had sunny weather except for an hour of snowfall approaching the summit. The vista from the ridge is astonishing, we sat for a long time just gazing off into a long distance of mountain range, and down into Lake Cushman. Bring some layers to make up for working up a sweat and then covering up to stop for the views. Whatever you do, absolutely hike this trail, and then visit Tom at Hoodsport Coffee Company on your way in or out, he is the nicest dude and they have great coffee and ice-cream!

We started our climb at 10a.m. on New Years Eve 2014. Great climb from the start, very well maintained and marked trail. The switchbacks give you a good cardio burn if you go too fast but it's very easy to just move along at a nice smooth, methodical pace. It starts getting steep and then flattens back out a few times. We encountered snow and ice within the first hour.

By the time we hit the summit loop we needed to put on some boot spikes for traction. Pretty icy and snowy from this point on. We encountered another group and none of them had boot spikes, they were forced to slow down quite a bit. The summit loop took awhile, maybe two hours, including a break for food and talking with our new friends up there.

The way down would have been treacherous without the boot spikes and trekking polls, basically we would have had to do alot of butt sliding. As it was, we cruised down pretty fast. Descent probably took a little over an hour. End time 3:30p.m.

Quick, brisk hike over the weekend (10/19), took about 4-5 hours with a break up at the top. There were clouds over the distant peaks and a beautiful open view of the lake. The switchbacks are well-paced, although it is just all incline up to the peak. I found the downhill portion between the junction and trailhead to be quite steep when coming down. This trail does not go above treeline.

Quiet hike on a drizzly Saturday afternoon the weekend before Fourth of July. Fortunately, the clouds broke enough for us at the top to snap a few photos of the view of Lake Cushman, Hood Canal and beyond. Steep at times, but accessible overall. Highly recommended.

Hiked May 21. Trail is dry except for about a 10 ft section of snow at the top. My legs!!!