Mount Mitchell [CLOSED]

Mount Mitchell [CLOSED] is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Stevenson, WA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail is no longer accessible as the access road is on private property.

You can no longer access this trail as the access road is on private property.

Over the past decade, my wife and I have returned to Mitchell Peak a number of times, and it will always be one of our favorite hikes. I proposed to her on the summit in 2002, so there's also an intrinsic attachment to the place. Aside from the breath-taking views at the summit, part of its charm is that it's a short enough hike that it can be done without a lot of effort or preparation, but is still far enough out to turn away the crowds and just difficult enough to make you feel like you worked for the view. We were heartbroken to learn that, as of June 2011, Road 10 has been gated, effectively blocking public access to the trailhead. I believe the peak can still be accessed from the North Siouxon Creek trail via FR54, but have yet to attempt the alternate route and am not sure of the trail conditions coming in from that direction. I do know that what was once a refreshing 6.2-mile up&back, with a 2100-ft elevation gain, has now become a daunting trek of several miles over unfamiliar trails...

This is an amazing hike. My buddies and i do this hike every year. A few of my profile pictures are from the peak. It's gorgeous and fairly easy. Gorgeous 360 views and lots of high elev ation wildflowers and wild life.

Although my husband and I had read that this was a 5.4 mile hike, it was actually longer and in spite of a couple of reviews we read, I'd also classify this as a difficult hike and not moderate or for young children. To get to the trailhead, you have to follow some rather non-specific instructions down several unmarked roads (some marked only by pink ribbons). We made the mistake of taking the first right after the bridge when we should have taken the second right after the bridge but we eventually found our way. This last turn will take you partway up the mountain to the trailhead which is clearly marked. There's enough parking there for four, maybe five cars. Our hike was in early May after a dry winter and there were still patches of snow near the top of Mt. Mitchell including on the trail itself, so be aware of that. Also, the six switchbacks are steep and take on the majority of the elevation, then the trail goes around the side of the mountain while still climbing upwards. The trail also becomes very narrow and rocky in parts so be prepared for that. The trail is also very dog friendly but there are no streams around so be prepared with water for yourself (and your dog!). This trail is difficult but experienced hikers will find it less so. The views are incredible and make this hike completely worthwhile.

It was a great hike. There was 10 elk in the clear cut across the canyon to the south. There was still some snow in the shady areas and on the trail near the top. It was breezy on top and a little cool. Mt. St. Helens was in full view, Mt. Adams was half covered with clouds and Mt. Hood was a bit hazy but in full view. I spent an 1.5 hours on top taking pictures. Beautiful scenery, I can't wait to take my family back later this spring. I met about 6 other groups on my way down.