Mount Kit Carson Trail

Mount Kit Carson Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mead, WA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, mountain biking, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

love the views!

Great views.

great views year round

we went in April, good thing we brought snow shoes, as we got up a little bit the week started post holing.
the view from the top was awesome

Great snowshoeing today. trails are very well groomed. We did go the wrong way but it turned out to be a nice area where few had gone. Excited to come back and explore further soon.

Nice scenic hike, parked at the upper Mt Kit Carson trail head. Hike was about 2.5 miles up to the Summit.

Great loop trail. Not recommended for beginner hikers. Friend encountered a moose in 2013, so be on the lookout. Fabulous vistas at the peak. Enjoy!

Mt. Kit Carson Trail proved to be a very diverse hike, overgrown with diverse wildlife, trees, and wild huckleberries. Nearer to the top, the trail forks and there is a simply stunning meadowed area that allows for good views of Spokane to the west and north. Not too difficult of a hike overall, but the distance itself still proved to be fairly tiring. Would definitely recommend. Huzzah!

The view is absolutely beautiful! Getting there was trouble for me. We ended up eventually just parking about 2 miles away from the bottom of the summit. Once we got to where it says go here to get to MT Kit Carson it only takes about 20 minutes to get to the top. So the actual hike itself is super short. Finding it was the tricky part for me. It's well worth the view though.

Definitely one of the best/more difficult hikes in the Spokane area. The top offers beautiful views of the surrounding areas. Well worth the time.

This is the year of the Bear Grass. It is the best I have ever seen at Mt. Spokane State Park and I have been hiking the mountain for over 30 years.Today I also saw Indian Paintbrush,Phlox, Groundsel,Mountain Bluebells and a couple different kinds of mushrooms. I also saw a small patch of snow on the north side of the mountain.

it is the end of June and there is still snow on Mt. Spokane.This is the latest I have ever seen snow on the mountain.The road to the summit and campground is still closed.I did find some Morel mushrooms and there were a lot of flowers in bloom. The creek coming down the mountain was running very high.The best things I found to photograph was a Snowbank False Morel and some Fairy Slipper Orchids.I plan to go back in a couple of weeks to see if I can find more wildflowers to photograph.

Mt. Kit Carson is part of Mt.Spokane State Park and offers a variety of hiking trails. Trail number 170 is a fairly steep hike but it is worth the effort when you reach the summit of Mt. Kit Carson{elev.5282} as there are some great views of the valley below.