Mount Defiance and Mason Lake Trail

Mount Defiance and Mason Lake Trail is a 10 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, WA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike to the top of Mt. Defiance for views of surrounding alpine lakes

Never have a stopped so frequently on a hike just to take pictures. You'll enjoy awesome views the entire length of the trail. The trail is pretty easy for the first 4 miles. However once you pass the sign that says Mt. Defiance you can expect one FIERCLY DEFIANT mountain! The last mile was grueling and the turn to the summit was so subtle I almost missed it (thank you AllTrails map!). One of the single best hikes I've done to date. Loved it.

Mount defiance is a beast. It took us 6 hours round trip (we ventured off to another lake for 30 minutes). From Mason lake it is at least another hour to an hour and half. Hard but worth it. Going to take my dad up it in the spring. It keeps going up. You have to follow the trail and just keep going. You will reach the top.

Tough hike with amazing views like 90% of the time. If reading this for advice for your first trip up, once you hit the ridge section with grass near the top (probably the coolest part besides the summit), keep an eye out for the final turn that cuts hard right and up for the final scramble to the peak. Its easy to miss. Definitely doing it again!

This is a nice hike with incredible views but the trail was heavily trafficked and parking was a nightmare. At Mason Lake there was lots of campers. It was a nice place but a lot of people.

Busy trail past May, nice short hike up the lower flanks of Bandera. Great shore access along the North side for fishing. Bear grass out in full force, surprising lack of marmots

Great hike but still snow along the trail up to Mt . Defiance and fallen trees on the trail as well.

Trail was very crowded - to be expected on a holiday. Had to park almost a mile from the trailhead.
Trail is a little rough in spots - lots of mud and standing water, a bit of snowpack, and considerable deadfall to negotiate over, under, and around. I turned around after a mile or so toward Defiance past Mason Lake.
I then chose to go up the peak over Mason Lake (Bandera), to which the trail was in excellent shape. Although the steep rock clambering was not for casual hikers. The views are amazing from the top!

Pretty decent hike- trail needs some maintenance, but all and all good trail. Has some really beautiful views throughout the journey.

Heavy traffic during the hike, quite a few people with their dogs off leash, but it was a fun hike.

its a great hike. one of my favorite hiking trail.

Blow downs on road from winter storms add 2.5 miles RT to Mason Lake. I would imagine they'd clear these by May, however, it'll take until June for the trail to melt out. About 2/3 up when you hit the boulder fields the snow is in poor conditions causing post holing waist deep, be prepared.
Lake is frozen over like most alpine lakes in March, saw 12 people on trail and a few headed up to Defiance.

Don't try to hike this in the winter if you aren't prepared for snow, people skiing were passing us. We didn't even make it to the trail head.

My first big hike. Found it tough.

Fantastic! Great hike clear day incredible views. I had hike to Mason before but not gone beyond, glad I went the extra 2 miles to summit Defiance. Nice tread from Mason until you come to the cairn marker shortly after the scree field, a very challenging 700 ft to the top but well worth it, great day of hiking!

Hiked to Mason Lake via the Ira Springs trail but I couldn't find a link to leave a review there. It was beautiful today although on the warm side. Trees are just starting to show fall colors and the lake was so peaceful. We started at 10am so we beat the crowds. I think over the next few weeks the views will get even better with fall coming. Next Friday we will take the Mt. Defiance trail.

I thought I posted already. I did this hike last weekend. Great workout. The last 500 feet was brutal. Our view was snuffed out by smoke from the wildfires. Not a lot of people on this trail. Just a few die hards