Wonderland Trail Ipsut Creek Loop to Ipsut Pass and Mowich Lake

Wonderland Trail Ipsut Creek Loop to Ipsut Pass and Mowich Lake is a 16 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orting, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until September.

So beautiful!! would do it again in a heart beat

Did this trail in one go on a whim. Asked the Park ranger for some trail info, and she said it was 14 miles round trip. After it was all said and done, I'd say it was an easy 17. I was hoping to go counter clockwise around and hit the fire lookout for sunset, and then hike out by headlamp. This was a good dream, but in all reality I hiked out by headlamp, but never made it to the lookout. I started my trip around 1:30. Got turned around up at the meadows and spent a little too much time and energy trying to find out that I took the wrong trail. Once back on it was a long slog down to the river only to find out the section of the wonderland was washed out along the carbon river. found the alternate route across a suspension bridge. Started to get dark around 7:30-8. Did the last 5 miles in about 2 hours by headlamp, which was a fun adventure. Overall I mistimed my endeavor. If I didn't get turned around, I probably could have made it, but that miscalculation of milage also set me back for sure. Being so close to the mountain was wonderful, although I didn't have time to completely enjoy the rest of the trail due to my hasty pace. Though what I saw was cool, although not as much as being in view of the peak.

this was an amazing day. i started at Mowich at 830 am ,i thought i was going to camp at Cataract Valley but i got there at 1230pm and decided i was just gonna do the whole thing in one day. was tough to cuz my bag weighed at 58 pounds but the beauty of this entire hike takes your mind off of the pack weight. Rainer looks so close when you reach the 6400 foot summit area, i finally made it back to mowich at 530 pm but decided to walk 3 more miles to Enice lake and back just to make it an even 20 mile day. i highly recommend this, i am going to do this hike once a week cuz im training to do Wonderland in 5 days next year :)

Very amazing yet strenuous hike. We started at Mowich Lake, went down Ipsut Pass to the Carbon River camp ground, and stayed the night there. It was rather easy the first day putting in about 5 or 6 miles of mostly descending. The second day proved to be much more demanding with about 10 or 11 miles of mostly ascending. We hiked up the Carbon River to the mouth of the Carbon Glacier. Then back down the the suspension bridge that crosses the Carbon River. After a somewhat flat first 3 miles, we started our ascent up passed the Cataract Valley campground to Seattle Park. Then crossed the peak between Seattle and Spray parks where began to descend towards Spray Park. After lingering in Spray Park absorbing the magnificent views of Echo and Observation rocks being cascaded by mighty Mt. Rainier, we began to head downhill towards Spray Falls. This is one of the most glorifying waterfalls I've personally encountered. You can hear the power as the water avalanches down the rock face into a rushing stream below. After a short nap and some nutrition, we made the easy 3 mile hike back to Mowich Lake where we stayed one last night. It was difficult to leave all the beauty of this place behind, but the experience itself was something that cannot be compared to.