Mildred Lakes Trail

Mildred Lakes Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, WA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until October.

From Hoodsport, north 14 miles on U.S. 101 to Forest Service Road 25. Turn left and drive 14 miles to Mildred Lakes Trailhead at the end of the road.

I did this one a while back. The trail ended about half way there. Definitely need map and map skills ( unless you use GPS). But we'll worth the hike.

It poured raining with wind the entire hike. Finishing was the most triumphant feeling.

This trail is more difficult than Upper Lena or Putvin trail. Even as an experienced hiker, give yourself plenty of time. Five hours for the hike in is reasonable, and 3+ for the hike out.

Did this hike twice now, both times were a challenge, but the end result is so worth the trip. Good luck with trying to catch the fish out of the smaller lake. My group and I tried forever with no luck. But the sights on the way are amazing. Some spots are harder to follow the trail, but it's easy enough to figure out. I can see myself going again. That's for sure.

tough hike

Trail after the falls almost entirely disappears, tried to follow the pink ribbon that others used to mark the trail, but most of it had fallen to the ground, and become buried. Next time I make this hike I will bring a few rolls of ribbon to mark the trail again, as I only went for a day hike and had no intentions of getting lost out here. I never made it to the lakes, but plan to in the near future.

Primitive trail, well marked, beautiful views of the mountains, snow on some portions of the trail. Overall I would say excellent hike ! Will go again soon!

This is one trail I need to do again as it has been too long since my last hike here. I've seen primitive trails in better condition than this trail but it is the type of trail I like.

I would call this more of a fisherman's trail than a hiking trail. It is not really maintained except for some cuts in recently downed trees. You will be going over, under and around logs with regularity. There are plenty of tree roots to grab onto when you go up the steep parts, one stretch gains around 1000 feet in 1/2 mile. I found I had to to be constantly looking for the trail and had to back track several times.
The lakes themselves are very nice and are ringed with rock peaks at the head of the valley. Being mid September there were very few bugs to deal with so you could just stretch out in the sun and relax.

This hike was fun even though we encountered a few setbacks. 1.) the trail can be difficult at times to follow. Got lost on the trail going in before the last jaunt down into the valley where the lakes are. Then almost lost the trail the last part coming out. The ground was covered in dead bark from the trees and keeping to the right path wasn't easy! Alot of people have tried to mark this with the pink and orange marker tape but it's deceiving. Just watch where you go and try to follow the trail as best as you can. Part of the fun was deciding which color to stay with. LOL! 2.) The road is washed out way before the trailhead so you have to hike 2 miles approx. just to get started up the trail. 3.) We went in July if I remember correctly and found the mosquitos to be overwhelming at times even with the bug juice. Tried fishing in two of the lakes but had minimal luck there. Caught and ate 1 fish and didn't catch another. The big lake looks real DEEP but don't know if there are many fish there. All in all, it's a nice hike since it's more up and down through the valleys so you don't get overly exhausted. Will probably do this hike again someday but there are many more I haven't done so this one will have to wait. Anything that has lake fishing to me is a good time though so I may go back and try it again before you know it. Beautiful lake reflection to wake up to the morning we came home. Beautiful mountains all around everywhere you go. If the fishing was better, I would give this 4 stars even with the difficulties. I like a challenge so that only adds to my ratings. Not a bad hike by any means.