Melmont Ghost Town

Melmont Ghost Town is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Carbonado, WA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail leads to the old town of Melmont. Round trip 2.0 miles. Best way to the trail is to climb down the Carbonado side of the Fairfax Bridge. Some foundations and an old dynamite shack can still be seen. Dogs are also allowed on this trail.

rails trails

easy flat trail extremely muddy

we had a great time. we went the wrong way once we hit the trail head beneath the tressle/ bridge...GO LEFT!!! we went right first, found a gigantic animal carcass and severed head right on the trail and it took us a long time to shake off the paranoia of being serial murdered. :-p once we went in the right direction it was gorgeous. the river below may be one of the prettiest I have seen and the trail was very muddy- like pulled my shoes off muddy. we really only found a dilapidated stone building and a rock wall- apparently that's pretty much it aside from some destroyed foundation further down the trail- also when the trails splits and goes up to the left- that's where the rest of it is. the hike was fun and gorgeous...we are however a little crestfallen in what is left of melmont ghost town. :-( by the by you probably won't have cell signal or service- be prepared.

Muddy but great views of carbon river. Lots of wildlife.

Wide, clear, easy trail. Offers a long distance. Great for biking. Kid and dog friendly. Views of the river can be seen and an old ruin foundation, along with large overhead bridge.

If you park at the lot after mile mark 13 you can get to the trail. If you go over the bridge you park on the south side and walk back over to trail head. The right side is the bridge trail is very slick but if you use the left side you have more footing with rocks and can hold on to the cross beams. Very nice trail not used a lot and you need to go all the way ruins are better at the end.

Not bad, pretty easy. Couldn't find much on the history of the town. Very muddy!

Thinking of doing this hike with my kids tomorrow, I'm concerned about previous comments about getting down to the trail! Any suggestions?!?
Thanks

If there's an easier way down to the walking trail besides the steep incline just at the other side of the bridge from the triple parking spot I couldn't find it. I saw a couple with a baby and know there's no way they entered the trail the way I did. Anybody who has better instructions as to the safest trail head please enlighten because I'd like to bring some friends and maybe my parents and the way I got down isn't safe enough for them. lol. But once down I thought it was a lot of fun. Making it down to the river was satisfying after a lot of dead end side trails that ALMOST get you there only to leave you with a steep dropoff.

This is not really a "hike," it's along an old railroad grade. No views, long, fairly boring. The ghost town is just some old foundations. It's a nice shaded walk of that's what you're looking for.

Bring boots for the mud and gloves for the descent from the bridge deck. Once on the trail you're met with alot of patches of mud and deep ruts from dirt bike traffic. Horses also leave alot of evidence behind. The four mile trip took us two hours and had our six and eleven year old boys too tuckered out to complain about anything on the car ride home. Priceless. Thanks Melmont. We'll be back, and next time with more bottled water.

Amazing trail. The easiest way to get to the water is to take one of the side trails leading steeply to the right, follow it through a big grassy field, then down more onto the sandy banks.

Very muddy

It was a nice well traveled trail, muddy but doable. Get there early as there is only parking for 5 vehicles on the east side of the bridge. We had to turn around go back over the bridge and park in a little pull out 50 yards from the trail head. You need to hop over the railing and navigate a fairly steep decline. Once you are at the base of the bridge go left away from Carbonado.

It's was neat to see the buildings, but not much of a hike, more of a stroll

Nice hike

Fun little hike, been their a bunch of times looking around trying to find everything. Their's remnants of a 20' wall, the "dynamite shack" and old school house still standing. Supposed to be part of a bridge still standing but I've never seen it!

Legit. Even my dogs loved the bridge