Melakwa Lake via Denny Creek Trail

Melakwa Lake via Denny Creek Trail is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, WA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

old growth

Hike along Denny creek, underneath I-90 past a couple of waterfalls, ending at a high alpine lake.

We went thanksgiving day 2016 and it was one of the most BEAUTIFUL things I've ever seen!! there was snow about 2 miles in and 4 miles up there was snow everywhere and the waterfall

What a wonderful day for a hike. There was no snow for the first mile and a half, but after that be ready for a cold weather. Aw long as you love snow and have work cloths you should be fine. There was so much snow pass Denny Creek. It was breathtaking.

Definitely longer than 8.5, about 10.5 I would say. Beautiful hike, plenty of waterfalls. Don't attempt without good hiking shoes as it is quite rocky.

Nice easy walk. Popular, parking lot full by 11:30 when we got to the trailhead. Good mushroom picking. Could not cross the falls due to high water.

Nice variety of waterfalls, rivers, large territorial views, rivers. Last 20 or so minutes of the hike were the steepest but not too intense. Excited that I could handle the elevation gain! Most elevation gain I've done so far :) the lake was to die for gorgeous - even on a cloudy day. Took the narrow trail on the left side of the lake against the embankment to the smaller upper river for stunningly gorgeous views! The 2 lakes are connected by a small waterfall. Easy to access the other side of Melakwa at this end of the lake. Highly!!! Recommend doing this!! The smaller lake & going to the other side of Melakwa were beyond gorgeous. Watched & heard a rockslide in the distance, and heard absolutely zilch in other parts of this area. It was just surreal. Spent 90 minutes wandering around by myself & once again met so many nice people.

As I came down to Denny Creek Falls, I walked up towards the falls as far as I could. So beautiful. Wanted to get above the falls, so I found a trail that was parallel to the falls on the left side of the falls. It is definitely not a well traveled path - but obvious that people do take this up to the top where you can see even further up the river bed.

So amazing. So thankful for these experiences. Go & partake! :) happy hiking!

Fun and easy!

so much fun totally would do it again

Best hiking for me. Finished in less than 6hrs for the whole trail. It was rocky and muddy after rains. Be careful of the running creeks, need either hiking pole or hiking boots to cross them.

Great trail for avid hikers. Definitely felt longer than 8.5 miles though. About 1/4 of the trail is exposed to the sun so beware of that. The trail is also quite rocky with overgrown shrubs.

This was such a great hike! Loved it! Took my 8 yr old, and she had a lot of fun! I will definitely go again!

Awesome hike. Great for families with kiddos and dogs. Well maintained and very populated. Enjoyed the beautiful views of the waterfalls along with the natural waterslides. The water was a bit low. However, come spring the water will be flowing fast. Enjoyed by all and well worth hiking.

Absolutely beautiful! Love being able to walk next to the waterfalls and even put your feet in the water. Very easy hike, will do it again!

Easy

Beautiful hike,must do if you haven't!Need hiking shoes and xtra water!We loved it!

This is a fairly easy trail and quick to tackle but the only note I have is that it's a bit of an ankle twister if you're not careful and the walking trail is quite rocky and very rooty. The falls near the end are worth it, and if the water level is low you should traverse the river bed to get up close and personal with the falls. Enjoy!

Wanted to throw in that this trail is rated as "easy" but this is a relative term. Do not expect a "walk in the park" type of easy. It is "easy" only because it is a short hike (about 2 miles each way). But there is significant elevation gain in those 2 miles. It is also a trail that is full of roots and rocks as you climb.

So if you're a seasoned hiker and in-shape, this is easy. If you're not so in shape and don't hike much, it will be a challenge but certainly doable. Most kids under about 4 years old you'll need a pack to carry them.

Kids 5-7 who again are in shape this will be a bit of a challenge but they'll have fun on the hike. Kids who are out of shape will be much more of a challenge and be ready for lots of stops and snack breaks. The sweet spot is probably age 7+ for doing this hike.

Stunning waterfall, little swimming hole, and rock slides.

Go during the week or on an overcast/cooler day to avoid large crowds. If you can only go on the weekend, arrive before 9am to avoid the crowds and get the full enjoyment of this stunning place!

This is an easy trail as marked. Lots of dogs, kids and people. The parking is tight but there is an unmarked parking lot north of the Franklin trail head. Have your pass or buy a day one since there is a ranger monitoring there.

Love this trail every part is different, my husband and I went once with our 2 year old, only about 1/3 of the way.

Then went back a day or so later just the 2 of us to hike up to the lake. It was amazing and beautiful! I loved all the different scenery and views.

The bugs at the lake however were not so great.

Also bring sunscreen because you are in the sun for a good part of the trail.

We will most defiantly be back up & do some more exploring on the other trials closer to the top!

8/10/16
Departed the Denny Creek trail in in thick fog and a lite mist at 9:30. Crossing the creek wasn't too slippery which was nice. However, as you continue onto the "main trail" the conditions became a bit more challenging, but still achievable.

The trail consists a lot of walking and balancing on rocks that are about shoe length, and compact dirt (which was muddy/slippery on the hike up). Nothing too difficult. However there were times when the rocks that you had to find the right footing on did become quite annoying (heads up). The occasional water break was needed.

I checked the elevation once I reached the top before descending down to the lake and I got 4610 feet. My group made it to the lake shortly after 11:45. We are lunch and walked around the lake for about an hour and hiked down to Denny Creek by about 2:15.

I didn't log the trip (forgot to press start on map my hike whoops), however it did feel more than 8.5 miles. Wouldn't be surprised if it's about 10miles or so.
Would definitely do it again on a warmer day so I could enjoy the lake.

Recommended gear:
Mid-high Boots
Walking stick (if wet conditions)
Bug spray
Extra socks

Great little slightly inclined hike to a small waterfall. This area has a place to take off your shoes and step in the water. Many people sunning on the rocks. Noticed quite a few seniors and little kids. Fun hike.