McClellan Butte Trail

McClellan Butte Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

snowboarding

From Seattle, east on I-90 to exit 42 (Tinkham Road). Turn right off the freeway for and travel 0.3 miles to FSR 5500-101. Turn right and go 0.2 miles to the trailhead at the end of road.

Very pretty trail. The top is pretty small though and the time of year (October) it was a little icy. Still worth it, a great work out!

This is an amazing trail! You are certainly going to do at least 13 miles... I think the 9 miles in the description is calculated from the John Wayne Trail. Most of your elevation gain will happen in the last 3 miles… This is a great way to use the first 3 miles up as a warm-up. As of this day October 11, there was a lot of ice and snow on the north west flank… This was not an issue(yet) for the approach on the scary scramble.. this is a hard hike… Be ready. As far as the blow downs, this should not be an issue for most people that hike on a regular basis… At least five trees and they were not really hard to cross or figure out… There should be no problem following this trail all the way to the top.. 6 1/2 miles up and 6 1/2 miles down… I recorded this with two different GPS devices and they both agree

I don't get out enough, so for me the trail was hard. The first few miles were okay, but the last few were challenging. And for my blistered, aching feet, down was much worse. We saw spray painted numbers on the trees which we assumed corresponded with miles, but it went past 6, which is different than stated here. My phone wasn't working so I couldn't track our hike, but my brother's iPhone counted 14 miles, round trip. I looked it up online and some sites say 10. The view at the top was very pretty, though we didn't catch a view of Mt Rainier due to cloud coverage. A very beautiful hike.

Did this hike yesterday and it was great, even on a cloudy day. Definitely going back on a sunnier day. Do no get used to the first two miles, those are easy. The last three not so much. There are multiple points on the last half mile where trees are blocking the trail, it takes some figuring out but should be able to make it through. Its definitely worth it making to the top!

Sunny day, great view on the top. The scramble is a little bit scaring but doable. Well-maintained trail and not many people there.

Great and fun hike! Recorded at 5.5 miles one way, so 11 miles total. The scramble up to the summit was a bit intimidating when you look down because it was so exposed (see my photo above), but it was fairly easy going up and down as there are easy footholds and handholds! The view of Mount Rainier from the summit was amazing, plus you can see Mount Baker to the north, the Cascades of course, and the Olympics in the far west. Amazing 360 view!

Great trail just a few snow spots but no problem! I tracked a total of just over 10 miles !

Great trail. Had to leave my dog at the bottom of the scramble.

Still a lot of snow around 4000ft. Came up short and didn't make it to the top. A few more weeks of hot weather and I will try again.

Very little traffic on the trail today. Wished I had just a little more time before I had to head back down to make it home in time for the school bus. Didn't quite make it to the top but will be back. Great work out & the trail is in good shape. In a week or so the views with fall foliage will be impressive.

Fun hike! A really good workout! The purple numbers seem to be in kilometers, not miles. Great views from atop the scramble! MUCH easier scrambling down than up!

Fun hike similar in difficulty to Mt Si for me, but way less crowded! My experience was extremely similar to Elizabeth's below. Started at 8am on a weekday and saw no one going up and several once I was half way way down. My GPS watch is pretty accurate and it said the entire hike was 10.3 miles round trip from the parking lot to the very top and back. It took me 4.5 hours and I am usually about 15-20% shorter than what the estimated time is. This trail requires a little more attention that most to make sure you are not leaving it when crossing forest roads etc.

Hit this one yesterday in 89 degree weather was a little more heat then I would have liked, but its An amazing hike with a great payoff, definatly do the scrample at the top its not difficult.

Very tough trail. Beautiful scenery along the way. A lot of photo moments but the Mosquitos swarm every time I stop along the trail. I thought before hand to bring change of clothes (long pants and scarf and light jacket) thank God! It would be nice if there were mile markers along the trail as my tracker wouldn't work dead spots. I think this trail is longer than stated on Alltrail.com, took me 5.5 hours to finish. I had many short 3-10 minute stops on way up. Very steep climb and dangerous in some areas, especially being tired. With that said, I had a pretty steep climb the day before this hike.
It only took me about 75 minutes to get to bottom trail entrance from top. I was jogging every almost flat stretch and some smaller hill portions on the way down due to getting late and afraid I would lose sunlight. Took a good face plant on the way down. Hips, thighs, knees, ankles so weak from the climb up easy to lose footing on the way back down, especially in dim areas with shade. Tree roots will get ya when you least expect it. Over all a great hike for endurance hikers. My only regret was not getting there earlier. I arrived at trailhead at about 1330 and was back at my car at 1830. As it worked out I did have plenty of time before sun went over mountain, I should have took my time going back down. Wildlife: no goats today, plenty of gray jays and squirrels and chipmunks and a pretty snake crossed right in front of me. It was black with green stripes pretty good size. supplies: I brought just enough although I am not used to packing a heavy backpack for day hike. After reading other posts and the weather being 86 and sunny I decided to pack 2 3L platypus bags with water. Enough food for 24 hours and change of clothes, and small first aid kit and the obvious 10 hiking essentials. Guess what? I used everything except for the food. I only ate 1 PB&J sandwich and some cherries and a peach. I drank just over 3 L of water, used some to clean my wounds on my fall.
Good luck and enjoy the hike, it is worth the view at the end. I hiked this one alone. There were about 5 cars in the parking lot on a Monday. I met 2 couples on their way down the mountain and 3 single hikers on their way down, did not see or pass anyone else going up. I was alone 99% of the time.

This was a very difficult hike. It is pretty and lots of flowers and Mosquitos. It was never ending though! Every time I turned a corner it got more intense and more difficult, view at too is amazing. I was worried about getting back down in daylight so I ran a few stretches that weren't too steep but took a face plant anyway! OUCH! Be careful this trail is not for the weak. It's a tough one.

I love a good hike but this one seemed to be harder than enjoyable and it was longer to the top than it says also. If you have knee problems, I don't recommend it.

This was my first time here. The trail is in good condition, and wasn’t crowded. It was supposed to be a 9 mile hike but according to my GPS I ended up walking almost 12 Miles.

The trail ends in a rocky scramble rated Class 3-4. I’d heard the scramble is steep and intimadating at first but not too hard if you take your time. There's a lot of exposure and if you fall it would not end well. No mountain goats today, cloudy, foggy and damp but overall another great day in the mountains! The 360 views are supposed to be amazing from this peak but not today, the clouds never cleared...will have to return on a sunny day!