Mailbox Peak Trail Loop

Mailbox Peak Trail Loop is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

From Seattle, east on I-90 to exit 34. Turn left onto 468th Ave and travel 0.4 miles. Turn right onto Middle Fork Road. The road should split and rejoin after 2.1 miles, travel 0.3 more miles and look for roads on your right. The pavement ends at a Y where a gate is. Drive up through the gate about 500 ft, and you'll see a new parking lot. Take the blue gated gravel road (walk) 0.4 mi, trailhead is on the left and is well marked. Note: the parking lot gate gets closed at 9 PM daily.

I did this hike yesterday with a friend and her dog, we went up the new trail and down the old trail. It was unbelievably beautiful! There is a steep climb at the end that got my heart racing a little but it was very doable, just gotta be sure to have microspikes on and maybe even crampons for that last pitch. The new trail has a lot of switchbacks so it is a steady gentle climb while the old trail is more direct i.e. much steeper so it was fun to go down. I highly recommend the hike, the 360 view at the top is amazing!

This is for going up and down the old trail.We reached the parking lot at around 6.45am, and it was pretty dark. Parking lot had slush and ice, so our group ended up putting up microspikes right from the parking lot, which turned out to be a good decision. The ramp and most of the was covered with ice and snow. Just a little extra care needed.
Trailhead is about 0.25 miles from the parking lot and we started the hike around 7 am, sun was just beginning to break, but still dark enough that we had to use headlamps for good 15 mins or so.

A pretty steep hike, previously I had always taken the new trail up. I had come down the old trail, so knew I needed to spot diamonds on the tree for navigation.Trail for the most was compact snow till the almost 2 miles where it meets the new trail.
After that point the area is pretty clear of trees and exposed, offering pretty amazing views.From this point onwards the snow was pretty fresh and a little icy for some parts. We took the straight approach to the peak, and it turned out to be pretty steep, somewhere around 30-40 degrees of incline. We reached the summit of the mailbox around 9.30ish something, spent couple of minutes before getting down. It was pretty cold and windy on the top, forcing me to put both my layers, but the panoramic views was amazing with clear sky.
Getting down was a little tricky on the slope, it would have been nice to have an ice axe. I was using foot marks made while going up to get the hold but of them gave way and I slipped good 20-30 ft before arresting the fall.
Were down by 11.45 at the parking lot. Overall a good day and a nice trip.

Took the old trail up on New Years Day. About 8 inches of fresh snow at ground level. About 2 ft of fresh accumulation at the top. Freezing level at 300 ft. Used crampons and poles. Seemed like it would be incredibly difficult to not have some sort of winter hiking gear. Took the old trail down as well. Shorter, but pretty hard on the knees. Would recommend the new trail down. No one had taken it yet, though, so no obvious path... and it's pretty easy to lose the trails. Very challenging and definitely worth it!

Beautiful breathtaking!!

one of my favorite places

i went up the old trail which took me a bit over three hours go get to the top and went down the new trail. more swirchbacks that way but easier on my legs. overall it took me 6 hrs with a brrak up top

Did Old Trail on the way up and New Trail on the way down today. I got to the parking lot at 10am and the trailhead or parking wasn't overly crowded.

The Old Trail is certainly a beast! It's basically a 2+ hour forested staircase. The trail was easy to follow until about 3000ft where it gets covered by falling pines and leaves. Luckily the white diamond trail markers are well placed and easy to follow. Once the Old Trail meets the New Trail it's pretty straight forward from there although still very steep and challenging. The boulder field is quite a sight! I was able to beat the weather by hiking in the morning but once you arrive at the boulder field the rest of the trail is quite exposed so dress accordingly and be prepared.

I had a horrible experience on the New Trail on the way down. Going up had me pretty cooked so I thought I would try the New Trail down to give my legs and knees a bit of a rest. I was exhausted and found the New Trail to be horrendously long! Honestly it's way longer than it needs to be. The switchbacks are extremely long and sometimes even head back uphill. My GPS had died so I didn't know how far I had to go and was tormented by the length of that trail! It IS however a beautiful, well-built trail. Kudos to the forest service. It's just longer than it needs to be.

Super challenging hike!! But absolutely worth it once you reach the peak. Get your workout in on the way up using the old trail, it's the ONLY way to go. And protect your precious knees on the descent by taking the new trail.

I've never ever had any issues with my knees until I decided to take the old trail back down. Holy cow, my knees were in so much pain! It was quite a shocker... maybe my knees aren't as healthy as I thought they were or maybe descending down the old trail is just not a natural thing to do. Whichever the case, if you opt to old trail it down, take it slooooow.

First post on Alltrails, drawn by some misinformation in the reviews.

The reviewers saying this is 11 - 12 miles round trip think so because they sway back and forth, zig and zag, and otherwise don't hike directly. It is particularly easy to do on this route as well because the trail is not always established, switchbacks tend to come and go throughout the season and it can be very tiring which leads to meandering. If you clocked 12.5 miles, sorry but you made it harder on yourself :)

It is 7.2 miles if you walk in a perfectly straight line from trailhead to trailhead and that's how all trails work. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1378768231 -- that's the closest I can get on an old trail ascent and new trail descent. Clearly not 12 miles --- and that would be true even if this were parking lot to parking lot. Another mile at most.

One of the steepest non-scramble established ridge line routes in the I-90 corridor. Walk directly east up the straight portion on ascent via old trail. If you descend via old trail, follow the ridge line back down due west. Do not turn north. If descending via new, just follow the very clear moderately graded trail. A lot of people needed SAR on this trail in 2016 because they weren't prepared. Compass. At least one person was airlifted after falling on the final ascent as well. I don't know how they managed to do that but it's possible apparently.

hth

Did this in March 2016, a little rainy but the tree cover helps with that. Was freezing and cloud covered at the top! Went up the old trail and down the new trail! awesome, steep hike up! Nice relief on knees to go down the newer trail. It was a cloudy day so can't say how the views were.