Mailbox Peak Trail

Mailbox Peak Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, WA that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take exit 34 from I-90. Head north on 468th Ave SE for approximately half a mile until the intersection with the SE Middle Fork Road. Turn right onto the Middle Fork Road. Follow SE Middle Fork Road 2.5 miles. Take the turnoff to the trailhead on the right and continue a short distance to the parking lot.

Great hike with a great panoramic view. Three mountains are viewable from the top. The trail is moderate until you hit the last 1/4 mile to the peak. People said it was good a hike for snowshoeing also. Very beautiful view!

I did the old trail up and the new one down. The old trail is a bitch and countless times I wanted to cry because "I couldn't make it". But I did and I'm happy I did because physically I feel like a bad ass. Too many people on the weekends. The new trail, according to some rangers, was built because an endangered bird habitat is off of the old and they wanted to lessen the foot traffic. Had I known that from the beginning I never would've taken it. Also, there were people fighting over Trump vs. Hilary at the peak. Very strange.

Great path,beautiful trails.Easy at the start then get ready to go up some rocks!!!Its a butty crasher.A must:)

Not for the weak hearted!

New trail is more manageable than the old trail. They made a beautiful job in this trail, very walkable and you don't get lost.
The trail is more than 11 miles not 7 like they specified, so plan your day..

Discovery pass required. Parking gets full in the morning but midday and afternoon they have available spots. Still if you can't find parking there's street parking outside.

The trail is easy to follow until the last 1/2 mile that is all steeped with rocks but it's worth it!

I met people at the top that have a lot of training hiking and another with no too much experience but train the mind to do it. Anyway bring your water, snacks, and ten essentials.

Beautiful hike and day! Well worth the effort and trail is in outstanding shape.

I had a great hike, the views at the top are amazing and the hike itself makes for great exercise. you'll be under the trees a lot on your way up but the scenery is still pretty great. the final stretch is a bit more challenging but fun.

It was a difficult trail especially as you reach the top and the decent is a quad warmer!

So my GPS said this trail was 6 miles long. The new one, not the old one. I went up the new trail and it took 2.5 hrs with a 20lb pack. It took me 1hr to get down the old trail, which is much steeper. I recommend going up the old trail and down the new trail. It's easier on the knees. Happy trails!

Beautiful hike, up, down, and top! Definitely difficult though. I am fairly fit. Started at 9:30 and finished at 5! This included some breaks on the way up and at the top. It was a mid 70s day but very comfortable in the shade for most of the way up. Very steep and still accumulation of mud in areas. I imagine very slick around rain. But the view and forestry were worth it! Also there are lots of wildflowers in growth above the tree line (end of June).

My favorite trail in the area!

Wouldn't know… Apparently the road heading to the trailhead is closed during the week… Weekends only… Or, very early on Monday… I was turned around by a representative from the Department of natural resources.... I will post another as soon as I am allowed to hike it

I used the new trial to get back to the valley camp and it was smooth but longer than that I have expected! It must rained couple days prior to our hike because it was really muddy! Shoes including pants were soaked by mud. Very good idea to wear gator over the shoes! If I would go again, I will try the old trail to get back to see the difference! Overall, I would say it was pretty fun!

it is an intense trail. be careful especially when it is raining the hike is muddy very slippery. Go early we started at 3pm and made it off the trail by 9:45pm. We took breaks as well to take pictures of course.