Mad River Trail

Mad River Trail is a 12.7 mile out and back trail located near Entiat, WA that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Entiat: Travel northwest on County Road 371 (Entiat Valley Road) to County Road 119A. Take this, then Forest Service Rd #5700 to Pine Flat Campground.

LOVED this trail. It is a mild August day and my pup and I were out on our weekly adventure! When we first arrived and started it was raining but that did not stop us! Any trails that are next to waterfalls, rivers, creeks or lakes our are favorite, mainly the dog because he always has a place to swim, drink and cool down! I also enjoy taking off my shirt, dipping it the water and putting it back on, great way to keep cool! Although we did not finish we made it up the switchback to the next ridge then turned around because when I'm in the woods I forget everything else, including the time ha ha! Although the parking lot was full we only ran in to one other couple from Cali and they were SO nice, we took the trail out with them and had great adventure conversation. :)

Caveat: only hiked this trail for 1-1.5 miles. This portion of the trail is very easy and flat. It tracks with the Mad River, which looked slightly flooded from the spring snow run off. We went in early May when several species of wildflowers were in bloom and enjoyed our time. If your looking for mountain top views you'd be disappointed. However, for a nice easy riverside hike it was great.

Car Back Pack Hike Camp 1 Night 4 People

1 hour hike further in early the next day to see a wonderfull high plains meadow

Ranger station visible in the distance to the right when entering the meadow

Trail Scenery Breathtaking:

Meadow worth the extra effort the following day.

Better with a small group of people 1 or 2 with experience.

Return to base camp and vehicles less than half a day.

1.5 to 2 Days