Lower Big Quilcene Trail

Lower Big Quilcene Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Quilcene, WA that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and mountain biking.

Directions from Quilcene: Take US Highway 101 south for 1 mile to Penny Creek Road on the right. Follow Penny Creek Road staying left at the Y (mile 1.4) to the Forest Service boundary and paved Forest Service Rd 27. Continue on FS 27 another 1.5 miles to FS Rd 080. Turn left onto 080 and follow it for .5 miles to the trailhead.

Easy trail - well maintained. Trek through a nice forest to a river.

In the beginning its really muddy but the views is amazing!!

Great hike! Beautiful scenery. Perfect hike for any skill level. Would highly recommend and will definitely do this one again.

The first three miles of this trail are fairly straight, paralleling the river below. While there are no great views you still can have a very pleasant, comfortable run enjoying the sound of the river and siting small critters and snails along the wide path. At mile marker three there were two, single track trails that looked more to my trail running liking, but I was out of time.

Lovely shaded trail with plenty of photographic opportunities. Only went about 3 miles in but looking forward to doing the full 6 miles to the end sooner rather than later!

We just moved to western Washington and this is our first hike. We were there with 3 adults and 2 dogs. It's a lovely walk. We made it to just beyond Bark Shanty before we turned back. While there were 6 cars at the trailhead when we arrived, we only encountered a couple hiking on the way out and one on the way back. I assume the rest were camping or hiking further than we did.

We plan to keep at this trail as we build up our endurance so we can see the rest of the trail.

The only thing that wasn't perfect about our hike was encountering an off leash dog. Even if your dog is friendly, you cannot assume that someone else's dog is and most dogs on leash view an off leash dog rushing at them as a threat to themselves and their person. Please keep your dog on a leash as required.

This is one of our favorite trails. My brother is visiting later this year and this is one of the hikes I plan to take him on. Quiet, great views and never a disappointment on this trail

I added a photo with the grid coordinates for the trailhead and attempted to update the SP on this trail's page. An earlier poster is right; the directions through AllTrails is inaccurate. If you have a gps or a cellphone app like MotionX that can use Lat/Lon, my photo should direct you right to the trailhead.

I went with my four legged hiking partner at the start of March. There was still snow on the ground and flurries in the air. I liked that; he didn't.

This is a great trail for photographers. Multiple waterfalls abound; bring your tripod for some long exposures and make sure to take your shots down a full step.

I got a late start and made it as far as Bear Shanty Shelter (5.8 m, roundtrip); but appreciated the hard work of the WTA in the new bridges. On my way back, fog rolled in off the Hood Canal, and it was really stunningly beautiful, in a "Sleepy Hollow" sort of way.

In terms of crowds, I saw three other groups, two with dogs. While one group didn't have their dog, a teacup poodle, on the leash, it was a well behaved gentleman, so it gets a pass. This is a good trail for dogs. There's a lot of interesting nooks and crannies for them. Mine found a bear track, probably his first, and bristled and was beside himself. All in all a good day. Thanks, National Forest Service.

Great trail. Easy hike from the trailhead to Bark Shanty. From there you hike along the river for a little and the scenery become more photogenic. Loved the hike and once again no disappointment.

Just spent the night at camp Jolley. Note: If you plan on camp Jolley...keep your eyes peeled for it! At the spot from the trail you can see it, there's a decline of loose sand, and I was too busy watching my footing and hiked right by it...ended up doing an extra mile and a half before I got to ANOTHER trailhead, and had to go back the mile and a half to find it! Bark shanty camp is a better campsite, though.

I found this trailhead no problem (maybe because I used the WTA.org coordinates). Beautiful hike, even though I didn't go any further than bark shanty camp. I'm gonna go back soon and push through to camp jolley. I spent the night at bark shanty, which is right next to a large creek or tributary...or some body of rushing water! I was the only camper, so I had a whole night of complete solitude...it was great. Easy trail, but with a 75 pound pack, it's definitely more challenging!

I found the last turn in the driving directions would put me on a wilderness road that could only be negotiated with an off road vehicle. Consequently, I never got to the trail head. I turned around and drove to Port Angeles for a walk on the Discovery Trail which was very nice.

Great trail beautiful views. Not to much elevation change. Nice easy walk

I don't often hike this trail because of it being so crowded, but it is a beautiful trail to mountain bike or hike. It is an easy trail for small children to do.