Lake Serene Trail

Lake Serene Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Everett, east on US 2 to mile marker 35. Turn right after the marker on Mount Index Road (FSR 6020) and travel 0.3 miles. Turn right at the fork onto FSR 6020-109 and go 0.1 miles to the trailhead on the left.

1 hour ago

GO HERE! This hike has it all. A waterfall, lush green forest, an alpine lake and a killer view. It was really difficult. Like climbing 2 stairs at a time for a couple miles. I saw some older people doing it and some people in flip flops doing it (wouldn't recommend that) so I guess where there's a will there's a way! There's a pay box in the parking lot (parking is a difficult situation) so have cash ready.

Maybe my favorite hike I've ever done. Beautiful snow at the lake and insane views leading up to it. Must love stairs.

This trail was hard! Make sure to stop off and see Bridal Veil falls along the way. I would recommend hiking on to Lake Serene in the summer. Bring your sunglasses! The sun reflecting off the lake is blinding. In the winter, the lake is not Serene at all; I experienced 60mph winds and all the water in my CamelBack hose froze solid.

Trail was covered in hard pack snow and ice. Microspikes would have been a good idea, pretty challenging without them but doable. The lake was frozen with a coating of snow over it so in my opinion the view wasnt as good as it is in the summer time, basically just looked like a field of snow you couldnt go walk in.

Did this a week ago.... the trail was icy the whole way up.. powder(1-4 feet ) last 1/2 mile... I highly recommend spikes though my hiking partner made it to the top and back with no traction.. The trail is pretty easy-going and relatively flat until you pass the lower Falls. After that, it's a pretty steep incline. I hike/climb regularly and I found this to be a pretty tough run. But of course, well worth the effort. Pro tip: tried to get to the trailhead very early… The sun was already behind Mount index by 11 AM

Amazing hike in 4 inches then about 4-5 feet at the top of snow on Jan 11th. Came prepared, layers and had lunch at the lake (CHILLY!)

The waterfalls were frozen over and the lake was burried under snow, just beautiful. Difficult to get to the top and took our time since there were points where there was no trail at all.

Full gear recommended for the snow.

Very challenging I loved it!! Beautiful view as well. Pays off!

Hiked on 12/30 with good traction hiking boots and trekking poles. Snow covered path all the way with few slippery steeper spots. Microspikes recommended.

Awesome hike yesterday! It was super snowy at the top and no wind at all! The last mile is quite the incline, but worth it for the view :) We wore snow shoes and were fine without crampons!

This was a nice hike. It was a bit tough but very manageable if you're in decent shape. Many people say there is a scramble right before the lake, I wouldn't really describe it as such, more of just less-maintained path for a 1/2 mile or so. I would definitely recommend adding the extra mile or so to see bridal veil falls on the way up. It rained the whole way for us so we were pretty cold and wet by the time we got to the lake so we didn't end up spending much time there. I'd try to get an early start as the trail gets pretty crowded on the weekends.

Great hike up, stopped at the bridal veil falls on the way up, definitely worth it, would recommend doing this on the way up as you might not want to on the way back down! Will have to do this on a dry clear day as we didn't get much of a view in the November rain!

This is a hard trail, but it's worth all the pain. Don't go on a weekend--way too crowded to be enjoyable