Lake Ingalls

Lake Ingalls is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cle Elum, WA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible from July until October.

From Seattle drive east on I-90 to East Cle Elum, exit 85. Cross over the freeway overpass and turn right (northbound) on State Route 970. Cross the Teanaway River bridge, and in another mile turn left onto Teanaway Road. Drive north on Teanaway Road, veering right as it becomes first the North Fork Teanaway Road and then unpaved Forest Road 9737 at 29 Pines Campground. Follow Road 9737 about 9.5 miles until it ends at the Esmeralda Trailhead where the trails to Lake Ingalls and Longs Pass begin.

Amazing hike and view!!!.About 10 miles before you get to the parking lot, road is full of dirt, gravel and small potholes, I drove around 20-25 mph while passing that road, it's passable not too bad. I got there around 7:00 am on Sunday morning and the parking lot was full but you can park on the side of road too.
I started at 7:00 am took few small breaks and got up at lake around 9:35am. Last half mile Trail is not marked well, I was told by people to follow cairns but they were everywhere, it was hard to find the directions of lake. First 3.5 miles Trail is in very good shape, but be careful after that.(if you are not sure just ask someone, stay on trail. ) Weather changes really quick there. lake was amazing, view was mind blowing!!!! I did walked around the lake to the other side which is totally different view. There were no goats at lake may ,be it was too cold the day I went but I saw one while coming back. Took me 2 hours to hike back to parking lot. Hike is not too hard if you are regular hiker but it was hard for me.

Check list:
1. Gloves, rain gears, hiking shoes and poles are important specially for this hike (since the weather changes really quick, also because of the tail condition you need all the above).
2. Bug spray, first aid kit (bugs were not bad at starting but as you get to lake they are annoying).
3. Start early the parking lot gets full quick and be careful for the 10 miles before you get to parking lot.
4. Get enough water and snacks.
5. Take map with you it's posted on board too, take a picture it helps since the tail after 3.5 is not marked.
6. Northwest forest pass required.

Be safe :)
It's Is such a nice hike, will highly recommend!! (Not easy, but worth it)

Have a blessed day!!
Enjoy

We hiked into Lake Ingalls trail as a group of 4. It was quite an amazing experience but definitely not easy. It took us more than 2 hours to hike in. The weather was bad, so chilly during the entire hike. The sun barely came out. It rained and hailed for quite a bit. But proudly we have made it to the top. Probably it is the best hike for me and Alex so far.

Some tips:
In September, you probably want to bring thick clothes with you, wearing long pants. Weather is definitely changeable. We saw many good camp grounds on the way, some of them are even close to the stream, but remember to start hike-in earlier around noon so that you can get a good spot.

Very good trail. Well maintained. But not easy. It was straight up the whole way. I went looking for goats. Didn't find the and scrambled around the back side of the lake. This is a super sketchy pass!!! I found the goats and made my way out. It was sept 1 and 34 degrees. It snowed, hail and rained. Weather was bad high elevation rock was deadly slippery. End of the day I would go back. I did a ultra light bag, would have been 4 hrs round trip but I spent 2 hours looking for goats. This is a very hard hike.

Aug 11, 2016 (Thu - Sat) - Lake Ingalls seems to be the best kept secret everyone knows about. It's a way to experience the beauty of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness for those of us unlucky enough not to win an Enchantments permit. With full packs the hike in took us 2.75 hours. The hike out took 1.75 hours. Lots of people hiking in on Saturday. The parking lot was packed around 11am and cars were stacked up on the side of the road. Bugs this year are out of control. They were pretty much a constant annoyance even with bug spray. We're still nursing our "wounds" a day after returning. Despite this, you can't beat the beauty of the place and it was the perfect location to watch the Perseids. Oh yeah, goats everywhere who like to remind you that you are the visitor and they live there.

Hiked into Lake Ingalls yesterday, 07/25/2016. They just opened it to the trail head yesterday afternoon. Rough in spots.

By far the best hike I have done yet!
The road to access parking lot is closed. You have to park at iron horse trailhead, the road is blocked with concrete blocks. This will add an additional 1.1 mile but keep walking on the road past the road closed sign and u will come to the trailhead! Make sure to get there early. We arrived around 8:30 and there was already about 20 cars parked.
Great views the entire way! Tons of goats so be careful! This hike is just beautiful! It was a little hard but I'm 16 weeks prego and still did it so its do able! Is not as hard as the rating made it seem. Bring plenty of water and make sure u take lots of stops to see all the wildlife and flowers! Beautiful scenery up there!

Lake Ingalls has got to be top 5 best hikes I've ever done. Absolutely blew me away. Went on 7/19 and had the lake to myself for over an hour. Well, to myself and the 20 mountain goats that followed me around, haha! Weather was amazing and the views are breathtaking!

MUST HIKE!!!! If you did not win lottery to be able to go to Enchantments this is the next best thing. Spectacular-cannot even describe it. To add, you are surrounded by wondering, wonderful creatures-mountain goats. Do not get carried away, they can be dangerous.
I have done many different hikes for many years-THIS IS IT. YOU MUST HIKE THIS.
Condition of the trail: Excellent, with some scramble at the top. And don't forget to stay away from the goats. They will try to get close to you. Throwing rocks toward (not at the goats but their direction) will make these creatures to keep safe distance. There were few patches of snow but not enough to have to wear microspikes, By the lake it gets very,very cold. Grab an extra layer with you.

This is my first-ever five star trail review! I was impressed.

POS and NEG of the trail
+ Gets you above tree line for some of the most interesting scenery I have encountered on a day hike.
+ Lots of Mountain Goat sightings including some 10 feet away and a "kid" with its mother.
+ The most challenging/taxing part of the trail is the first. There is no "warm up" leaving the parking lot. Once you start, you are gaining elevation from the first step. The nice part about this fact is that once you reach the ridge/summit, and could use a break the most, things level out to make the last hour or so very manageable.
+ Even if you don't make it to the actual Lake, the trail is so interesting, the scenery so other-worldly, that you won't feel like like you have missed a thing.

– Drive Times: From I-90 It takes about 45 minutes to get to the trail head along a well maintained dirt roads, which adds to an already long day. Bring PRINTED directions for this road as there are opportunities to take wrong turns and cell coverage was spotty to nonexistent to help find the trailhead.
–It can get chilly at the lake in October. It was 70 degrees in the parking lot, but felt 50 degrees with wind once you are lakeside. Bring a wind breaker, not just a fleece.
– There are plenty of opportunities to take a wrong turn once you reach the summit. Trail intersect, there are spur trails for camp sites, goat trails that look like hiking trails, and missing signage. Bring PRINTED directions (no cell coverage) or a good map. Fellow hikers were a good source of information as well.

TIPS: Bring a wind breaker for lake side it was chilly. I could not believe how much water I drank even on a cool fall day. Perhaps stash a few extra liters in your vehicle for afterwards. Make sure you have have printed directions and a good map as there was little cell coverage once leaving I-90 and no cell coverage at the trail head or on the trail. GPS worked fine.

Tuesday 9-29-2015: My wife and I joined our hiking group to hike to Lake Ingalls in Teanaway area. The weather was perfect. We arrived at the trailhead around 9:40 am. The parking lot was almost full. We left the trailhead around 10 am. We reached Ingalls Pass around noon. The larches were in golden color. We could see Mount Rainier and Mount Adams. The trail near the lake is rocky and sometimes confusing but we made it from Ingalls Pass to the lake in one hour. The lake is beautiful. It was a glorious day for a hike.

This was my first real "Hike". The last half of this hike was definitely harder than I expected. We found it challenging to stay on the trail in places because it is only marked here and there with some stacked up rocks. We ran into some very nice hikers who gave us good hiking advice and also helped point us in the right direction. There were not very many people on the trail which we liked because it gave us a true wilderness feeling. There were not hardly any bugs that day either.The views were indescribable! The lake is gorgeous and the mountain goats were fun to watch. I would love to hike this again but next time we will be more prepared and will give ourselves much more time to complete it.

Absolutely gorgeous. This is one of my favorite backpacking trips of all time. In fall the larches are glorious, and though it can be cold, it's worth it. I'm craving to go back. You can camp in the basin and do the little scramble up to the lake. Watch out for the mountain goats, though. They can be feisty.

I loved it so much I would love to build a cabin up there and be happy as a clam.

Beautiful up to Alpine Lakes Wilderness then the rain set in. Going back in three weeks for fall colors.