Lake 22 Trail

Lake 22 Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Granite Falls, WA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until November.

beach

old growth

From Granite Falls, E (left) for 13 miles on Mountain Loop Highway to trailhead on right, two miles past the Verlot Public Service Center.

So gorgeous. Countless waterfalls. Lots of water on the trail - manageable. The sheer rock mountain is almost dizzying - just completely gorgeous! Let trail head at 10, lake at 11:15. Lunch & did trail around the lake. Left lake at 12:30 & back to car by 1:50. Beyond beautiful! Great for kids too.

My wife and I arrived at 11AM and found a spot to park right away. We hiked at a brisk pace, passing a few groups, and made it to Lake 22 in 1hr 10min. There were people spread out along the lake, the trail loops around the entire lake. We made it back to the trailhead in 45min, jogging a nice pace most of the way back. The trail is very well maintained. Part of the trail had water runoff on it, but was very hike-able all the same. Mud was not a big factor, most water was on gravel or rock. As for the lake, it was an awesome view. Walking in on the lake the ridge behind the lake is reflected on the lake, it makes a pretty cool mirror effect, very clear lake.

Lovedit!!

No too tough and just the right length if you're looking for a decent morning hike. Started hiking around 9:00am and got to the top around 10am. Had lunch and headed back down. This was a Tuesday morning, there were about 5 ladies starting when I was and only saw two other people on the way up. Passed a few more groups coming down.
Heard this is a very busy trail on weekends, this is why I purposely went on a week day morning!
The lake is beautiful. Was foggy when I first reached the top but cleared as I was enjoying lunch.

Magnificent hike for conditioned kids and family. Switch backs on the edge of the mountain leave you with beautiful views as you continue to climb. Terrain is both earth and rock so wear boots if you have them. The view at the top is similar to that of Heather Lake.

Sooo beautiful one of my Fave!!My BF and I loved it.Its a bit hard but so worth it.You must try it:)

Perfect day for this beautiful hike! Sunny & 76

Hiked today. Was very very crowdy! But when I got there I was so impressed! That's so cool view I didn't see long time! Definitely worth to get there

Great hike

There was some water on the lower half of the trail. Overall the trail is in great condition. It's an easy 2 1/2 to 3 hour hike.

I was here on a solo outing yesterday, perfect day for a hike. The path starts out gently enough, a pretty dirt staircase through forest. You can hear water trickling through the forest many times along the way. A bridge crosses the stream around a mile in, a particularly pretty waterfall. Here the trail gets steeper, with more rocks and some water on the path. Gentle but persistent switchbacks lead to a long talus slope with the wall of lake 22 looming above, seemingly insurmountable. The talus is a jumble of sharp rock, but navigable. I saw several families with little kids, but they were tough little kids! (It amazes me what passes for a family stroll in the NW, for some people this would be a very tough hike). The trail switches back and heads toward the large stream which outlets from the lake where it finally flattens out. There is a hidden waterfall here which I plan to come back for. Onward a bit further is the lake itself, a small-ish, gorgeous turquoise lake with an enormous steep wall behind it. A path goes all around the lake, worth the time it takes to do it. Best time for photography at the lake is probably morning, although later is interesting too, with filtered light through the pyramidal peaks behind the lake. I was told by someone that for a weekday, it was pretty crowded, at the lake, but it wasn't by the time I got there. But expect crowds on the weekend.

This trail was good for adults, reading the reviews it said "kid friendly" but it was long and a hard hike for the kids ( ages 12 & 8) I will do it again without kids !