Lake 22 Trail

Lake 22 Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Granite Falls, WA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is accessible from May until November.

beach

old growth

From Granite Falls, E (left) for 13 miles on Mountain Loop Highway to trailhead on right, two miles past the Verlot Public Service Center.

I was here on a solo outing yesterday, perfect day for a hike. The path starts out gently enough, a pretty dirt staircase through forest. You can hear water trickling through the forest many times along the way. A bridge crosses the stream around a mile in, a particularly pretty waterfall. Here the trail gets steeper, with more rocks and some water on the path. Gentle but persistent switchbacks lead to a long talus slope with the wall of lake 22 looming above, seemingly insurmountable. The talus is a jumble of sharp rock, but navigable. I saw several families with little kids, but they were tough little kids! (It amazes me what passes for a family stroll in the NW, for some people this would be a very tough hike). The trail switches back and heads toward the large stream which outlets from the lake where it finally flattens out. There is a hidden waterfall here which I plan to come back for. Onward a bit further is the lake itself, a small-ish, gorgeous turquoise lake with an enormous steep wall behind it. A path goes all around the lake, worth the time it takes to do it. Best time for photography at the lake is probably morning, although later is interesting too, with filtered light through the pyramidal peaks behind the lake. I was told by someone that for a weekday, it was pretty crowded, at the lake, but it wasn't by the time I got there. But expect crowds on the weekend.

This trail was good for adults, reading the reviews it said "kid friendly" but it was long and a hard hike for the kids ( ages 12 & 8) I will do it again without kids !

u

This hike is about 7 miles. Has a crazy goat trail. Beautiful views, clear roads recommend going early. Requires national park pass 5 dollars. Bring water and a snack. You will love it. I would rate this High moderate for the full hike. We went with 2 12yr olds a 10 year old and a 7 month old in a carrier.

Breathtaking lake. Moderate hike. Loved it.

A solid 3 hour round trip hiking. Be aware of wet mud and rocky surface.

We did this hike in March the trail was still pretty well covered in snow the top was full snow. We wished we had had some clamp on's for our boots. The trail was beautiful but way to many people. Slow groups were not willing to step over and let quicker groups pass. It felt like an ant hill march. I would like to return this summer maybe while the snow is gone and during the mid week so there are less people.

Ok hike, kid friendly for ages 6 and up. Trailhead bathroom was nasty had graffiti and no TP. Lots of trash around the lake.

It's slightly ironic but the directions listed here led my friend and I to a residential area in Arlington.....so we kept driving and ended up stumbling upon Heather Lake. Just a warning

beautiful

Lake 22 was absolutely beautiful! It is a moderate hike with some rocky switchbacks, nothing too horrible just make sure to wear good, comfy shoes!

Tiny waterfalls pass over the trail, be careful not to slip! Switchbacks and rocks, the view and scenery are well worth it.

The trail has a lot of stones and water at many places. Otherwise it was all pleasant and easy. We are able to cover 37 mins per mile. The view at Lake is awesome. The waterfalls on the way are nice too

Awesome! Super beautiful from start to finish with all kinds of things to see along the way. Easy for dogs. I personally think going at a more wet time of the year could be super fun!