Klickitat River Trail

Klickitat River Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lyle, WA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I rode this trail with my wife on mountain bikes. It would be boring as a hike as the trail is fairly flat, but it's good for a beginner's introduction to mountain biking as the trail starts off with loose gravel on double-track width and interspersed throughout the trail are sections of singletrack that break up the monotony. The gravel helps new mountain bikers get used to riding over bumps that one would normally find on singletrack trails.

Great for a beginner's trail run, hike or mountain bike ride. Also, dog friendly if they are on a leash. One thing to note is that ticks are really bad in Lyle so this trail is no exception. Keep yourself and your dogs on the gravel trail in order to stay tick free. About a 2.5 miles from the HWY14 parking lot there's a great place for dogs to swim right past the fish hatchery. The entire trail is groomed gravel and fairly wide. There's some beautiful views about 2 miles in that you can see on the bridge.

Walking trail as far as I am concerned.. Prob great for trail running also. Have walked entire trail in 3 trips.

It can be an out-and-back or point-to-point shuttle. It's a long, flat frail that follows the meandering Klickitat River. Only it's not a trail: it's an old rail-line, so it's graveled and quite wide. And flat. If you wanted to do a 26 mile out-and-back, it'd be the easiest 26 miles you've ever done--bar none. Would it be the best? No, but fat Aunt Margaret could do this one in a heartbeat.

I did a 10mi "hike" on this trail, though the term walk would be more accurate. It's more like a golf-cart trail. It'd be quite decent for mountain bikes (easy biking) if you needed an easy 20 out-and-back from the bathroomed trailhead. On a rainy or wintery day it's far enough east that you just might find some sunshine. Would I go back and walk/hike it again? Probably not. The ancient and deep canyon cutout by the Klickitat is cool, and so are the number of native fishing rigs, but it's not a hike. Check the links for "getting there" and "facilities" for more info.

Weather was in the low 40's with filtered sunny periods. Started from the Harms Road trailhead and went 7 miles down steam. Saw 22 deer, many hawks and one owl. Didn't see any people, had the trail to myself all day. A rather easy hike, but snow free. One of the trestles (about 4.5 miles from the trailhead) does not have any planking over the railroad ties, so not very good for bikes.

Me and my mom started this trail at Klickitat, just north on the river. We rode our bikes on the trail that parelles the river. Much of the trail your able to ride easily if you have fat tires and a moutain bike frame (we didnt have shocks on our bikes). Some areas you need to get off the bikes and walk over the rocks, we are by no means great at biking. This review is a few years old so I would have to re-ride it to give a better review and track it with my GPS.

A nice refreshing, relaxing hike. We decided to head further east as it was raining closer to town. Good choice, started at the new bridge, and went 2.5 miles up. Basically flat, very limited mud, but lots of rock to walk on.
Would live to see the fisherman at work. The scaffolding reminded me of the pictures of Cecilio (sp) falls by the Dalles.

We rode mountain bikes about 3 miles up the trail and back. The river is beautiful and the newly constructed bridge over the river ,about 1.5 miles from the trailhead, provides a great vantage point to watch the fisherman on the sides of the cliff. The trail itself is very gravelly and uncomfortable to ride for very long. I would not recommend the gravelly trail for a casual mountain bike ride. The trail would be great for some off road running though.