Iron Peak Trail #1399

Iron Peak Trail #1399 is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cle Elum, WA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from July until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From Seattle drive east on I-90 to East Cle Elum, exit 85. Cross over the freeway overpass and turn right (northbound) on State Route 970. Cross the Teanaway River bridge, and in another mile turn left onto Teanaway Road. Drive north on Teanaway Road, veering right as it becomes first the North Fork Teanaway Road and then unpaved Forest Road 9737 for 8.5 miles.

Saturday 9-29-2014: My wife and I joined our group to hike Iron Peak Trail. The weather was ideal. We left the trailhead at 10 am and reached the saddle by noon gaining 2200 feet in 3 miles. Here we turned south to follow boot path on the ridge line to reach Iron Peak summit. The view improved as we go up. The view at the top was 360 degrees. We signed the register. Mt. Stuart was dominating the view to the north and Mt. Rainier was clear far to the south. We were able to see many other summits. It was a great hike except for horse droppings in the lower portion of the trail. We did not see many other hikers despite it was a sunny Saturday.