Iron Goat Trail

Iron Goat Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Skykomish, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Directions from Skykomish: Drive 6 miles east on U.S. Hwy. 2 to milepost 55. Turn north onto the Old Cascade Hwy. #67. Proceed to the junction with Road #6710. Turn onto this road and proceed 1.4 miles to the Martin Creek Trailhead parking lot.

Very easy hike. We did the lower trail and from martin to the interpretive site and back was 6 miles. Be aware there is a bear and 2 cubs in the area so we wear a bell or talk as you are moving. Amazing hike to take your dogs with you.

we only did the lower grade which was a great easy hike with kids. during the month of august there aren't a lot of great views though sadly. good historical signage related to the old tracks and tunnels.

Beautiful trail! It was a misty day which made for some great photos, but we were pretty wet. We started at the interpretive sight off of Hwy 2 and went up the switchbacks. It is pretty steep, but a good start. The rest of the trail is flat. The upper trail gets quite narrow and is overgrown in a few stretches. I would recommend long pants as there are some stinging nettles. The upper trail is muddy in places where water runs down. The history and remnants of the old train route are awesome. Would highly recommend this trail.

Great history along the trail. Switchback to Windy Point is a challenge but I am a beginner. Didn't make it to Wellington...next time. Bug spray is a must!! And lots of it!

Absolutly amazing

We took the lower grade and looped up into the higher grade, which made for a fairly easy enough hike with kids, though a bit long. The lower grade was an easy flat stroll with many tunnels to look over. Just a bit of a gradual slope to hike up toward the upper trail, doable for my seven year old. Once on the upper trail, the trail is a bit narrow, there were a couple streams to cross, and the beautiful waterfalls coming over the walls were simply gorgeous. The switchbacks coming down was a bit on the steep side at times for the seven year old, which made navigating slow and she kept slipping, so I carried her on my back. Easy enough, as I was practically jogging down with her on my back. Definitely easier going down than if we went up it. I don't think we would have made it halfway up before the kids would have wanted to turn around. (:

The lower grade is really easy, our almost 2 year old walked 98% of it himself. The upper grade is a little more difficult (we also started with the lower grade and left the upper grade for last. I skipped it because the switch backs were too hard for me while wearing my 8 month old.) The upper grade had a stream to cross and a few narrow passages with a cliff on the side. I suggest starting at the trailhead and doing the upper grade then the lower grade. The lower grade is very well maintained and level. We loved exploring the tunnles.

The Iron Goat Trail is the abandon roadbed of the Great Northern Railway. The railroad was built in 1893 and was used until 1929 when the present Cascade Tunnel opened.
At Wellington there is teh original Cascade Tunnel built in 1900. It's 2.63 miles long. DO NOT ENTER iy. It is in the process of collapse. Also there is the foundation of a watertank and coaling tower. The snowsheds were built in 1911 after the avalanche.
The BIG walls on the trail are the anchor walls that held the snowsheds into the mountain side. The rest of the snowshed was wood and has rotted away.
At Windy Point it is possible to look down in the canyon and see the west end of the Present Cascade Tunnel.
It is 7.8 miles long and is in use by lots of trains every day.
The trail is not difficult or steep but is nine miles long. Be Prepared. Take only photos and leave only footprints

One of my favorites

This trail is very well maintained and great for sight seeing. The main loop is very easy but if you want more of an advanced, challenging hike you can take the steeper trails which are nice if you want a great workout! Tons of beautiful plants to see, trees, waterfalls, views/lookouts, caves, and of course all of the historic train tunnels! This was a very interesting and beautiful hike (84 degrees out and loved it!), I will definitely be back for an advanced workout up to Wellington! And supposedly there is a train that was hit by an avalanche somewhere? So many interesting things to see. I recommend this trail for everyone, and it's even wheelchair accessible (usually) although there were a few trees that had fallen down over the trail that we had to climb over. But I especially recommend this trail for those who are looking for the chance to get in a long (8-13 miles), scenic hike!

I hiked this trail this weekend, and immediately realized that it is a nice, and nicely maintained trail. The trail is riddled with historical landmarks, and was a nice walk through the history of the area. I will definitely be back in the spring and summer months to do more explorations. Oh, and beware of the wildlife in the area. I came face to face with a bobcat, who stared me down, for what felt like 10 seconds. It was a surreal experience.

It's was are great Hike! Beware of Poison Ivy!

Great historical trail and one my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed! Lots to see and learn about. Since this is close to home and an easy trail we will probably take much more quest here as an alternate to nerby trails.

Perfect place for a safe trail run if that's your thing. Unfortunately I had twisted my ankle the previous day coming down from lake serene but that was fine because the views of the train tunnels and the mossy forest were spectacular.

great for trail running!

Always thought easy hike = sucky hike. Not here. Great hike love the tunnels, great views , gorgeous forest canopy. Saw only 1 other grp hikers. 8+ miles for easy hike