Independence Pass Interpretive Trail

Independence Pass Interpretive Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stevenson, WA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

6.2 miles 2005 feet Out & Back

Beautiful view of the mountain and spirit lake. Many small washouts where pumice trails were present making for unstable footage. We looped around and came out Norway pass.

Great orienting trail Mt. St. Helens. Starts in an area recovering and the devastation is still apparent. After a couple of miles, you get your first view of the mountain. Moving on, there are awesome views of spirit lake and the mountain.

I was really disappointed in the trail. I had been wanting to see Spirit Lake since I read about it after the eruption in the 80's. The trail itself is in good shape with a few items needing tending (broken bridge, some eroding edges) but all-in-all I left feeling let down. The trail description I read says the elevation gain is only 300', I don't think that is accurate but it's not a hard trail by any means, but I guess that's relative to your condition :) We set out in the evening and had a good deal of shade, which was a nice surprise.

If your in the area definitely stop by Iron Creek Falls on FR25, only 500 yards from the road but a nice place to relax for a bit.