Humpback Mountain Trail

Humpback Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, WA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Steep trail straight up the ridge, some easy scrambling near the summit, great views of Lake Annette, Silver Peak, etc. at the top.

According to the WA trails association this hike at its highest peak is 5174 ft in elevation gain. It started off so mild for about a mile on a railroad grade path. The trail that takes you to the peak comes out of no where and is easily passable. I tied a little pink trail marker off to the right as soon as you come to a second clearing. If you continue straight (east) and miss it you'll know because a bunch of pine trees are down and the trail becomes narrow and messy. The trail itself is basically just straight up with no end in site. You'll pass by 5 or 6 scrambles but keep going. You'll know you're at the top because it's just rock and no trees with a beautiful panoramic view. Dogs are acceptable on this trail ONLY if they are good off leash. The ground is a bit wet so careful of sliding!!!!

This trail is a beast. I used it as a training climb for a pending climb of Mt Adams and spent yesterday in the rain with about 40 pounds on my back. I think I'd rate it higher in stars if I could have seen the surroundings; most of what I saw were trees and clouds. The first mile or so is gentle railroad grade. You will come to an open area where the trail arcs east. Don't make the mistake I made when I kept hiking east. Instead look for the steep narrow trail ascending a spur. The next 1.5 miles or so is a relentless climb covering about 2000 feet of ascent. You reach a relatively flat ridge then alternate climbing over granite boulders and trail to the summit. I stopped about fifty feet short. The rest of the ascent was over snow covered boulders and I was climbing alone so I decided to avoid a possible fall. The descent is tough. I fell four times when the terrain was slit and steep. If you want a decent workout this is a great trail. I saw no one else on the trail. Have to try it on a better day to see if the views are inspiring.

05/30/2016 - Memorial Day - I think it's safe to say that most people who hike were out today. I passed several trailheads on the way here and they were packed with cars. That's one reason I chose this lesser-known trail that is a little harder to reach. I only saw four people on the trail. Heaven. The first section of the hike is a steady incline on an old logging road. Look for the small cairn and the trail heading up the ridge. There is no sign. Once you begin the climb it does not stop. It reminded me of the old Mailbox Peak or Mount Teneriffe in difficulty. This is not an easy trail. The top has great views to the NE. Silver Peak and Annette Lake are right in front of you with peak-a-boo views of Mount Rainier through the trees. 2 hours up. One hour down.

This is a great hike! Definitely a climb all the way up, beautiful view at the top. You must climb the rocks in order to get to the very top, but it's worth it! One of my favorite hikes

We started from the lower logging road, but you can also start from the gate on the upper road. Once at the ridge, it's straight up, with a short but easy scramble to the summit. Lovely views of Lake Annette, Silver Peak, etc.