Heliotrope Ridge Trail

Heliotrope Ridge Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Deming, WA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

snowboarding

In 2013 there was a washout on the access road. it is possible that this road is still out. this adds a 7 mile hike to get to the trailhead. Call the Glacier Service Center before planning a trip on this trail. (360) 599-2714

Nov 15, 2016 - we arrived well prepared for anything but pulling into the trail head parking lot with no snow in sight and the rain coming down, we figured we could leave our snowshoes behind. Started in rain jackets, turned to a light snow for a few minutes and then the sun came out about halfway in and the fog disappeared! We hit snow in the last 30 minutes but hikers were sufficient and poles kept us upright when crossing the rivers and dodging icy rocks. The big river crossing was a breeze compare to when I hiked this in July. Gorgeous to see the glacier with snow all around! Took us about 1.5 hours up, same heading back down as we were a bit more cautious descending the snow section. I consider this a pretty easy hike for elevation, good one to take if you don't have time for a long day or your taking someone newer hiking (provided they are ok with the river crossing) The trail was well maintained and very easy to follow in the tree covered areas. It will be harder to see in the snowy open areas so keep this in mind! The road was in pretty good condition. My Honda Civic had no issues.

A very well beaten path leads you to the glacier overview. We started the hike later in the day and still made it back before the temperature dropped too much. There are a few river crossings, the farthest of them is by far the most difficult but it looks like there are better places to cross further upstream.

Quick hike, the grade was reasonable and the glacier amazing. There is a few creek crossings that may be more difficult earlier in the summer but this time of year weren't a problem.

My 9-year-old practically ran up this hike, he is in great shape! Took my family and spent about 3-hours round trip. Awesome old-growth trees, some work on the trail, lots of switch-backs, great views of the mountains, amazing waterfalls. The last creek to cross was too much for me, but my brother & dad made it across and the glacier views are worth crossing (their photos were incredible)! I saw a few dogs packed in backpacks to cross the moving water (no bridges, expect to get wet!), and many folks used poles for assistance. It was a busy day of hikers. Scenic views all around! You have to get your pass to park at the Rangers station, and there's a "toilet" trail which consisted of a wooden box, so bring your toilet paper. Temperatures chanted from 60 degrees in Glacier to 50 degrees when we parked at the trailhead and hiked up. Be sure to wear layers and boots to get wet/muddy, as the water crossings are more like jumping across rushing water!

So beautiful! Hard time getting past that last creek and the flies were annoying but nothing too difficult

brilliant, great hike, the views and crossing the streams make it a great adventure. bugs as soon as you so better to keep moving

Trail is in good condition. The pay off at the end is worth the effort. You WILL get your feet wet fording the creeks. Bugs weren't horrible but we're definitely out. This is not a hard hike if you are in moderately good shape and have good balance crossing those creeks.

Wet trail, overcast sky, no views, but great wild flowers, one marmot, lots of hikers and great workout.

We did about 7 miles out and back... Crossed all the waterways (they're pretty intense). This isn't an easy hike! Indescribable views. Very much worth it!

Even with the cloud cover, this was one of the greatest views I've seen. Definitely worth doing again. We took our dog with us. She was a little wary of some of the creek crossings, but overall managed very well. Love this hike!

One of my absolute favorite hikes in all the land. A+++

Awesome hike!

The better half and I are beginner hikers, the trail is a nice rugged uphill grade most of the way, but worth it. The view of the glacier and Mt. Baker are excellent. Definitely will return next year.

This trail is amazing from trail head to the glacier! A trail that must be hiked.

Great hike beautiful views

Very rewarding hike. Trail was a nice steady gradient, never too steep or technical, though the water crossings were a bit harrowing. Can't imagine how one would cross in higher water. The discovery and wonder of seeing mt baker for the first time and then the glacier spreading out before you is unparalleled.

I did this trail because the conditions for the other trail I had planned to do weren't great. Even after getting to the trail head I wasn't sure I'd commit to this hike when I met some returning hikers who convinced me it was still worth it. I'm glad I listened. It was a little rainy and misty most of the hike, and it's pretty much up up up the entire way, so the cool weather certainly kept me comfortable. My biggest concern were the creek crossings. All the hikers I encountered said it was doable. One foot slipped in on a wobbly rock, but other than that I didn't have a problem. It's also possible that since it was a cool, cloudy day the runoff was lower than normal. Having some poles or a good stick would probably help make those crossings easier too.

The payoff was a wonderful view of the glacier. Even though the weather wasn't great I was still able to see all of the glacier and the occasionally some blue skies were visible near the mountain summit.