Heather Lake Trail

Heather Lake Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and snowshoeing and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

old growth

From Granite Falls, E (left) for 12 miles on Mountain Loop Highway, Right on Pilchuck Road for 1.5 miles to trailhead

Great winter hike! Mountains are beautiful at the top. Did it with normal hiking boots and slipped a couple times but nbd. Even after a light snow the trail was easy to find and follow.

Amazing trail from beginning to end. Lots to look at and the winter snow really made it a cool hike to trek. Definitely need shoe chains though as there is a lot of ice. Looking forward to coming back in the summer to see how it changes.

Just finished this hike and it is my favorite so far. If you go on a day that it snows make sure you have snow tires or at least spikes because you won't make it up the last turn towards the trailhead. Me and my hiking partner just parked at the bottom and hiked and extra half mile. As long as you have the proper gear this hike will be AMAZING with snow. Incline gets a little tough here and there but definitely doable. Be careful of falling trees right now as well, my partner almost was hit by one.

INCREDIBLE little hike. The snow was gorgeous!

amazing 1st hike in washington. The mountains surrounding the lake had snow on them which was so beautiful!

First off, I have to say this hike is NOT 1.9 (trailhead sign) or 4.3 miles (All Trails app.) Say more like 6 miles roundtrip!! Definitely a great work out, with mostly incline to the lake (elevation 1,250 feet). The whole trail is pretty much rocks and roots. Very wet and muddy, thank goodness for good footwear. Not sure who rated this moderate? I'd say moderate with lots of challenges? Bigger Dog friendly, although my Schnuazer made it, he had struggles and I had to carry him across creek/ waterfalls throughout the trail. Nice parking area with outhouse building. Once we reached the lake it was absolutely breath taking views. All in all, a great hike.

Hiked this on Sunday and it was fantastic! The trail wasn't to busy and we were able to truly enjoy our hike. The lake water was a super pretty blue. My dogs also enjoyed the hike:)

Muddy and slippery after the rain. Found out that my hiking shoes were not 100% waterproof the hard way. Hike is a lot easier than expected. Beautiful views all throughout.

amazing scenery. somewhat challenging. good workout. worth it to see the beautiful lake at the end.

Great trail, can be slippery when wet as the steeper upper half is rocky in parts. Great lake, trail has only moderate traffic... overall a recommended trip.

WE Hiked this trail on the 9th of Sept 2016, it's beautiful and lake was wonderful but I agree with Sherry Cain
VERY ROCKY AND FULL OF ROOTS ON THE TRAIL in fact I would add that it is ALL ROCKS AND ROOTS and small STREAMS!!! Stopped to ask a ranger at the station before going up and he say there are a few rocks, this range needs to look up the meaning of a few! So the joke between my hiking friend and myself was "just a Few Rocks". Also there are lots and lots of steps 2/3 of the way up that start at your knees and I am 5'7" tall, so if you do hike this know that so of it is more climbing then just a hike, and much longer then 1.9 miles. A young man hiking with his mother had a GPS that was clocking at more like 2.5 going up and more like 1500 elev. too. It took us 2.5 hours going up and not counting the time at the lake 4.5 hours total hiking time. EVERYONE we meet going up told us "it so worth it at the top" and I agree but I think information on this hike is way out of date, and with it getting dark sooner you/we need the true time, distance and condition of the trail. WE DID EJOY IT and WE WERE SO PROUD OF OURSELVES BUT it is not as advised.