Heather Lake Trail

Heather Lake Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, WA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and snowshoeing and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

old growth

From Granite Falls, E (left) for 12 miles on Mountain Loop Highway, Right on Pilchuck Road for 1.5 miles to trailhead

amazing 1st hike in washington. The mountains surrounding the lake had snow on them which was so beautiful!

First off, I have to say this hike is NOT 1.9 (trailhead sign) or 4.3 miles (All Trails app.) Say more like 6 miles roundtrip!! Definitely a great work out, with mostly incline to the lake (elevation 1,250 feet). The whole trail is pretty much rocks and roots. Very wet and muddy, thank goodness for good footwear. Not sure who rated this moderate? I'd say moderate with lots of challenges? Bigger Dog friendly, although my Schnuazer made it, he had struggles and I had to carry him across creek/ waterfalls throughout the trail. Nice parking area with outhouse building. Once we reached the lake it was absolutely breath taking views. All in all, a great hike.

Hiked this on Sunday and it was fantastic! The trail wasn't to busy and we were able to truly enjoy our hike. The lake water was a super pretty blue. My dogs also enjoyed the hike:)

Muddy and slippery after the rain. Found out that my hiking shoes were not 100% waterproof the hard way. Hike is a lot easier than expected. Beautiful views all throughout.

amazing scenery. somewhat challenging. good workout. worth it to see the beautiful lake at the end.

Great trail, can be slippery when wet as the steeper upper half is rocky in parts. Great lake, trail has only moderate traffic... overall a recommended trip.

WE Hiked this trail on the 9th of Sept 2016, it's beautiful and lake was wonderful but I agree with Sherry Cain
VERY ROCKY AND FULL OF ROOTS ON THE TRAIL in fact I would add that it is ALL ROCKS AND ROOTS and small STREAMS!!! Stopped to ask a ranger at the station before going up and he say there are a few rocks, this range needs to look up the meaning of a few! So the joke between my hiking friend and myself was "just a Few Rocks". Also there are lots and lots of steps 2/3 of the way up that start at your knees and I am 5'7" tall, so if you do hike this know that so of it is more climbing then just a hike, and much longer then 1.9 miles. A young man hiking with his mother had a GPS that was clocking at more like 2.5 going up and more like 1500 elev. too. It took us 2.5 hours going up and not counting the time at the lake 4.5 hours total hiking time. EVERYONE we meet going up told us "it so worth it at the top" and I agree but I think information on this hike is way out of date, and with it getting dark sooner you/we need the true time, distance and condition of the trail. WE DID EJOY IT and WE WERE SO PROUD OF OURSELVES BUT it is not as advised.

The trail was a nice balance of easy going, level ground to some moderately steep hills and rocks. Took the dogs with and they loved it, they did great on the trail as well, wasn't difficult for them one bit. We enjoyed lunch on a big rock overlooking the lake at the end of our journey, and it was beautiful. Not a lot of traffic on the way up or down either. Pretty much had it to ourselves which is always nice. Only took us about 2-3 hours round trip, including lunch and stopping to sight see. Definitely one of my favorite day hikes. Perfect for a peaceful walk in nature.

Did this hike today with my wife. Kicked her butt but I really enjoyed it.

Heather Lake was amazing! We went in March and it was still covered with snow halfway up. The snow covered lake at the top was astounding. So, so beautiful! We trudged through the snow- 2 women and one teenage boy- no poles, no snow gear, just sweatshirts and yoga pants. Had lunch by the lake at the top. There were a few people around and many little children. The one drawback- mosquitos by the FROZEN lake! Crazy!! It was COLD. I don't know how they were alive. This trailhead is on the way up to Pilchuck. We would definitely do this hike again!

Trail is great with a beautiful view at the top. I think the milage calculation is wrong however. My fitbit said it was 2.7 miles just to the lake, not around it. Very rocky with steep areas not ideal for small breed dogs. We just put our dachshund pug mix in our back pack for the trip down. Wear hiking boots for ankle support on this trail if you have them.

This trail is reported to be 4.3 on this app and at the trail head the sign says 1.9 one way. We logged the trail at 5.75!!! It was VERY ROCKY AND FULL OF ROOTS ON THE TRAIL! Glad we had hiking poles so that was a big help.

The first time I hiked this trail I swore never again, I thought it was brutal and not fit for anyone, today was my 3rd time hiking it. What a great go to trail, elevation is great, the trail isn't to long and takes no time at all to get to the lake. There are a lot of rocks on the trail, and in a few places you really need to watch your footing as it would be very easy to fall, trip, or roll an ankle. WTA has been out there making the trail better and it shows. For me going up is always the easy part, coming down not so easy, I have osteoarthritis in both knees, with the help of trekking poles there is a lot less stress on my knees. Still a great hike, good cardio workout, I would recommend to someone new to hiking that is up for a challenge, the beautiful lake at the end is well worth it.