Hamilton Mountain Loop Trail

Hamilton Mountain Loop Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, WA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A nice steep gorge loop with terrific views. Might get a bit muddy at spots. This trail requires a WA Discover Pass.

Great year round trail! A little muddy in parts. Next time hopefully I remember my hiking poles.

Loved it! Hard end of moderate.

the trail is harder than I thought and it is very tiring

Fun hike- combined it with hiking Beacon Rock trail for a fun morning. I went early and was alone on the trail for most of my hike!

This was a great trail with tons of scenic vistas. I highly recommend. The views of the gorge were phenomenal. It was very clear and I could see so many snow capped mountains. Just make sure to have a discovery pass or 10 dollars.

Very hard, tiring trail. But completely worth it if you make it to the top.

I went on this hike after hiking beacon rock and finding it too short and not very challenging. The views on this hike are stunning, although when I was on the summit the views were partially blocked with bushes.
I would rate this hike as moderate. After reaching the summit I completed the loop instead of going down the same way I went up even though it added an additional 1 1/2 miles to the hike and I was rewarded by additional stunning views at the saddle. On this section of the loop I didn't see any other person.
The pool of the winds and the water fall are beautiful, but the lower view point isn't worth the climb down the hill because you can"t see anything. Take the higher path to the pool of the winds and you'll be rewarded.

We hiked this in August of 2014 and we the conditions we had were almost perfect. The temps were right, and the sky was clear aside from the slight haze of wildfires in the area. This trail was pretty good to us considering most of us went into out of shape. We all thought we were ready for it but some of us weren't. We didn't get a chance to make it to the summit of Hamilton Mtn. because one of our group was unable to continue on. Now this isn't a difficult trail per say. A person in moderate shape can do this in a few hours but it definitely has its elevation that will get you. The waterfalls along the trail make for a great opportunity to stop, relax, and cool off. They really are beautiful too! My favorite part of the trail was eating lunch of the cliff face right beside Hamilton's summit about a quarter mile down the trail. It offers great views of the Bonneville Dam and the slightest view of the peak of Mt. Hood and of course the amazing Columbia River and it's gorge! I would definitely love to attempt this again and get to that summit! I'm still looking to get that 360 view of all the volcanoes on a clear day!

Really nice hike.

Ran this trail this morning. I wouldn't say it was 7 miles...seemed much shorter, maybe like 5 at most. It does get steep after the waterfalls, but the trail is packed down and easy to maneuver. The summit was quite windy and the rocks are not steady in all areas, but the view of Beacon Rock is great. Definitely one of my favorite running trails on the Washington side.

This is inside Beacon Rock State Park; $10 to park for the day or $30 for the year if you're a local.

Up to the falls is a pretty easy hike; wide trail, well packed, some areas of steep incline, but very manageable.
AFTER the falls the trail gets significantly harder; it jumps from an easy-moderate to a high-moderate. Significantly steeper with no reprieve on the incline until summit, looser packed trail, and lots of switchbacks. The only scrambling/climbing you do is when you miss the switchbacks, which I did 3-4 times.
A fairly populated trail, at least up to the summit. After that, people tend to go back the same way they came; but if you continue on the trail and return via the loop on the Hadley Trail you get a (mostly) solitary cool-off hike back to the parking area.
Great panoramic view of Mt Adams and Mt Hood.
Lose half a star for the parking fee.

A steep hike. Although I've heard there is a route to the top that is less steep. Waterfall was hard to see and a good distance from viewing. Pool of the winds pretty and a good place to cool off. Summit views were amazing! Some loose rock and small area where the trail is narrow and steep. $10 day use or use discover pass.

This was a true moderate hike. I would rate it a mid moderate hike and not on the high side. The view is beautiful on a clear day. Bring lots of water.

The views at the top are amazing and totally worth the climb! For me most of it was doable, but there are some challenging sections towards the top where a some climbing is involved. I will be sore tomorrow.

One of my favorite hikes! The views are spectacular!

Awesome! Have plenty of water, after the initial set of ridges that overlook the gorge, keep going towards the left to continue ascending the mountain with plenty of switchbacks but not too hard if you're in decent health. the views from the top cannot be beat so pick a day with clear skies!

Lovely day for a hike! The trail was on the easy side of moderate imho, long but my dog and I had no trouble with it. Definitely recommend taking pictures as you go if you're into that, while the summit is lovely, there are some great views as you go up that you won't want to miss!