Grove of the Patriarchs Nature Trail

Grove of the Patriarchs Nature Trail is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Randle, WA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until September.

Easy nature trail through 1000 year old huge old growth Cedar, and Douglas fir trees at Mt. Rainier National Park. The Ohanapecosh River surrounds an island of towering, thousand-year-old Douglas fir and western red cedar trees. Walk the trail to discover the grandeur and peace of this island. Isolated on the island, these giants have been protected from fire, allowing them to grow to enormous size. You have many trees that are more than 25 ft in circumference, at least one approaching 50 ft, and some over 1,000 years old.

This hike is a very typical forest hike, it is well maintained and short so good for those with kids. You pass a river, there is a fun bridge, so children would love this. I hiked it with my boyfriend, it was nice and the trees are impressively large but it's not remotely challenging for 2 adults and it was too short to feel like I accomplished something.

This one is good if you have extra time to spare, but I wouldn't give up other hikes or activities to do it. The trail down to the grove is rather uninteresting until you get to the end where the actual grove is located. There are some good, large old trees down there, but hey, this is Washington and these sights are fairly easy to come by. The suspension bridge is a cool idea, but there's enough people on the trail to make it quite an annoying wait since it's one person at a time.

It's an easy trail, but a must-see for anyone visiting Rainier! It's nice and shaded and the river and trees are beautiful! My kids loved it! We hiked this on the Centennial and it wasn't too crowded, but I can see how it could easily get that way. Well worth the stop, though!

Ok trail, cool trees, but crowded, & bridge is "One Person" at a time, so you might be there awhile if you happen to hit a group coming across, good for little kids!

Short, well maintained hike. suspension bridge was fun. Be warned: one person at a time on it there were a lot of people on the trail. Silver Springs had less people if you're close by.

7/24/2016 (Sunday) - This short, easy, but interesting trail is mainly for attracting tourists and families. Crossing the bridge on a crowded day requires long time for waiting. Because this is the site so close to the Park's entrance, almost all first-time tourists may stop to take a look. It is worth going to the other side of the road, down to the Silver Falls overlook for 0.6 miles along the running creeks with numerous small falls. That part of the trail is much less crowded. We had the falls all by ourselves for over 10 minutes without other visitors on this crowded day. It was a hot sunny day, so it's good to select this trail with its good shade, as temperature in the woods is almost 10 degrees lower than under the sun.

The trail itself was well maintained and short. I feel like I went into this hike with such high expectations and was pretty let down. The bridge was fine, nothing special. Quite annoying to have to wait for everyone to cross, it is recommended that only one person be on the bridge at a time. When you finally do cross the bridge there are some giants but I was just not blown away by them. I have never seen the redwoods or sequoia but have seen the large cedar and spruce tree on the coast here in Washington. Those things are Giants in comparison. I guess after seeing those I was expecting bigger! I could've taken a pass on the grove of patriarchs! The positive on this trail for me was that it was short and easy.

Go early to avoid a massive crowd. A nice short hike with some ancient giants.

very busy trail. only one walking bridge across so we had to wait a while in line to get across. Glad we went, it was a beautiful drive and the river was so clear and beautiful.

Disappointing trip. There was wonderful potential with a well laid out trail full of information along the way, but midway the bridge that crosses the river was closed and denied access to the most impressive and majestic of the old growth trees. I will reconsider my review once I can complete the trail. Travelers be warned, this trail is under construction!

Nice little side trail going up to Paradise. Great family trail that is well maintained with bridges and wood walkways. The trees are huge so bring a camera. Happy hiking.

Nice easy little walk. I was pretty excited about the suspension bridge.

Very well maintained trail with a suspension bridge. Very easy hike. The "large" trees are not that spectacular. It's a great trail for young kids. I would not recommend it, for anyone other than young kids or people with movement issues.

This was a fun little hike with the kids. The trees made for good sight-seeing, and on a hot day, it's nice to dip your feet in the water.

Really nice walk with amazing trees to enjoy. There are benches along the path to sit and eat, but beware the chipmunks which are definitely accustomed to being fed!

Beautiful, easy, busy!