Green Mountain Trail

Green Mountain Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible from June until November.

Hike to a historical fire lookout at the top of Green Mountain in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Starts off gradually climbing through an old growth forest before breaking out into huge green slopes in the summer. Incredible views of jagged peaks in every direction from the top including Glacier Peak, Mt Baker, Dome Peak, and many others.

The only thing I didn't like was the 19 mile dirt road drive before you get to the trailhead, hence 4 stars. Everything else about this hike is incredible!! Loved the change in scenery every half a km. The mountain was spectacularly green in August. Would love to come in mid October.

A beautiful hike as the huckleberries were ripe and fall colors beginning to emerge. Grouse wandered within 5 ft near the peak, and a marmot perched on top of a stone tower calling below. The mountains were out in full splendor.

First 3/4 of the trail is pretty easy until you get to the basin... Then the final ascent to the lookout is pretty strenuous if you are carrying anything on your back. Lots of small wildlife on this trail (mostly finches and chipmunks) and tons of ladybugs at the summit.

Saturday 9-5-2015: My wife and I hiked to Green Mountain hoping for a great view. The weather forecast was mostly sunny, but it turned out the weather was mostly cloudy and we did not have a great view. We need to come back when the sky is clear. It took us 2 hours 30 minutes from our house in Redmond to the trailhead. NF-26 Suiattle River Road was in good condition except for washboards in unpaved sections. NF-2680 Green Mountain Road was rough but passable for all vehicles. There were 12 cars when we arrived at 9:30 am. and 17 cars when we left at 4 pm. The trail was in good condition. There is no toilet at the trailhead.

I understand this hike has been closed for about ten years, but is finally open. Head north from Darrington on Hwy 530. Turn right after the Sauk River bridge on Forest Rd 26 (Suiattle River Rd). After 19 miles, turn left onto FR 2680 for 6 miles. FR26 is now very good with the first 10 miles paved. Even the 9 miles of dirt road is in good shape. Challenging climb, but well worth it! Awesome views of mountain ranges in all directions on the way up and from the summit. The Lookout at the top had a solar panel on the outside, but was locked up tight. It took us about 3 hours to climb up and about 1:40 coming down.

I waited several years for the Suiattle River Road to reopen so I wasn't going to let snow and freezing cold weather stop me. The road to the TH was snow free and in good shape. I had the entire mountain to myself, there was no one else on the trail all day. The lower section was a gradual climb through a nice forest. It took no time to reach the open meadows which were brown this time of year - I look forward to seeing the huge green slopes in the summer. Micro spikes were a huge help on the icy snow the last 1 1/2 miles to the top. Incredible mountain views in every direction from the fire lookout. A must hike and it will probably be more crowded during the summer.