Green Lake Trail

Green Lake Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buckley, WA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from May until October.

9.5 miles 1965 feet Out & Back

beach

From Tacoma, east on Higway 410 to Buckley. Left on Highway 165 for 10.8 miles. Left at fork for 11.4 miles to trailhead on right.

Completed this trail 9/30. Beautiful day with lots of gorgeous scenery throughout the whole hike. The beginning of the Green Lake trail was pretty steep but manageable with my 15 month daughter in a backpack. Loved all the little streams along the trail and all the big trees to walk under. You can hear the waterfall as you approach which gives you that extra boost to get going. Once you reach the lake I recommend walking out on the logs to look over to the left, as there was sections of trees with all the beautiful fall colored leaves. Wouldn't say that this trail was easy, more of a moderate trail. This is one of my new favorite trails and plan on coming back to watch the changes throughout the seasons.

I went here with my husband and it was so beautiful , it is pretty easy but make sure u wear the right shoes. I will be back

There is a 3 mile walk from the gate to the actual trail head. Do yourself a favor, grab a map out of the bulletin board area. You'll need it to swat at the bees that will attack you along those 3 miles. It is a long walk inside the forest. At almost the end of the 3 miles you come to the river and a little creek. It's really pretty. Then head UP UP UP the trail, lots of switch backs, tree trunks and roots to climb over. If you're out of shape, have fun lol, I had to sit on stumps a few times(a lot of times lol). Once you get to the waterfall though it is worth it. Very beautiful.
Don't miss out on the carving of the penis on one of the logs. Majestic lol!
We did not go on to the lake, turned around and went back. 8 miles was enough for us in one day.

This trail isn't "easy" it's more of a grind. We did it today and it measured out 11.4 miles. It was fairly quiet in the morning but as it moved into the afternoon it got busy.

The falls were beautiful and the lake was picturesque beauty.

This hike was amazing! I would say easy isn't an accurate rating, but very doable. Once you reach the actual trail head it's all up till you get to the falls and the lake. Well worth it. More like 10.5 miles and we did it in 4 hours of actual walking time. Will do again!!!

This was a great hike to do, it is long but easy. Getting to the lake was spectacular, the view was amazing and the lake was virtually untouched. The water was so clear you could see the bottom. The swimming is nice if you like freezing glacier water. Not many hikers on the day I went, literally had the view all to myself. Overall it is beautiful and quite peaceful.

It's about 10m. round trip but real easy on the old gravel road leading to trailhead. From their a good 2m. uphill and your there. A good half a day hike that offers a couple waterfalls along the way. Would love to come back and try fishing their sometime!

My kids and I rode our bikes in to the trailhead then hike up to the lake. It was a beautiful day and between the falls and the icy cold lake we were all in love with this ride and hike. Can't wait to do it again.

This is 11.6 miles round trip (to get to the lake) and basically all up hill once you hit the trail head. Super fun and absolutely gorgeous!

This was one of the first hikes I ever did in Washington state, back in March of 2014. I'm new to this site though, so I'm adding pics and reviews from old hikes.

This hike is definitely longer than stated. The road is closed, so you have a good 2 miles each way walking along a paved road before you even start gaining any elevation. We went very early in the season, so there was still some snow around the lake and some of the higher elevation areas. Really pretty views of Ranger Falls though, and you can sit on some large boulders near Green Lake to eat a picnic lunch.

Good hike, longer than stated. Think it was more like 8+ miles round trip, two+ miles hiking road that has been closed, then two miles up trail to waterfall and lake. The lake is beautiful... Lives up to its name! We spent time lounging on the logs and jumping into the lake. It was cold, but so refreshing as it was 90 degrees today. Most of the hike was in the shade under the old growth forest, a welcome treat. Hiked with our two kids, 14 and 10. They had no trouble. Would do it again.

Our first return to Green Lake in 12+ years. The weather was excellent, very light traffic on the trail and great trail conditions almost everywhere. Spent 2 hours dozing on one of the logs at the lake before heading back. A quick stop at Ranger Falls, and back down to the trailhead. As I stepped into the old road I realized I had left my sunglasses at the falls. Ran most of the mile back to the falls and the return trip to the trail head. GPS says I did 13.4 miles. Next time I'm bringing a fly rod to play with the trout that saw fit to play with us today.

Beautiful hike. Gorgeous Falls. And a lovely lake with logs to rest on at the end. Hiking boots advised if it's rained in the last week. $5 per person MRNP fee can be paid at the parking area. Bathrooms there. 3 mile flat road walk to the trailhead, THEN it's 1.0 miles up to Ranger Falls and/or 1.8 miles up to Green Lake, which as others have mentioned, makes your walk/hike closer to 10 miles. No pets. Also, I would consider this closer to moderate level for most "weekend hikers." We went on a Friday afternoon, and ran into about a dozen other hikers.

It was definitely a fun hike. Passes are hard to obtain at the ranger station. Though, they couldn't use their cash register (volunteers aren't allowed) so they gave us the day pass free of charge. It was rainy, the ground saturated and the snow level was just above the lake so it was a little cold but overall, my brother and I got some awesome views of ranger falls and green lake itself. For the first hike of the season, I couldn't ask for a better one. 1/18/2015

The three mile walk to the trailhead adds 6 miles to this hike making it almost a 10 mile hike. I would bike it next time. Still worth it at the top and definitely good for training for bigger hikes. There were some awesome sights with the fallen trees and the ranger falls. The elevation gain is the same as mt peak in enumclaw and the tolmie peak hike so that's next on the list! My poor legs were not ready for ten miles today but we did it anyway and I'm glad we did!

The road to the trailhead is closed at the carbon river ranger station. One has to walk around 3 miles to get to the trailhead. We took a little break at the carbon river which constantly flows parallel to the road towards the trailhead. The trail is around 4 miles round trip plus 6 miles on flat surface. The trail was not crowded in spite of the good weather. There is ranger falls just a little off from the main trail. At the end of the trail there is a little bit of snow, so be careful while walking. The view at the top of the lake is worth the 10 miles we hiked. One of the best things that I liked about this trail is that you get the mountain views, river, lake and waterfall all in one trail , though you can not see Mt Rainier :(

But this is one of the best trail I have ever been to during my short stay in seattle and it is in the leagure of Hurricane ridge(Olympic National Park) and Lake Twenty Two(North Cascades)

I really like this trail! If you bike in, it's still only 3.6 miles hiking, so it's nice and short! Beautiful waterfall to see along the way, as well as lots of huge trees overhead on the path and some nice logs to sit on and eat a snack at the top! Not too crowded--we got there by 9:00am on a Sunday--and hard enough to make it interesting!

Did this a few years ago before the road washed out. Fairly easy trail, gorgeous lake on a sunny day!