Grand Pass Trail

Grand Pass Trail is a 14.7 mile out and back trail located near Port Angeles, WA that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible from June until October.

From Port Angeles, north 2 miles on Race Street as it turns into Mount Angeles Road. Veer right at the fork and continue on Mount Angeles Road 17 miles to Obstruction Point Road. Turn left and drive 7 miles to Obstruction Point Trailhead at the end of the road.

Some of the most grand views in the park. I did it as a long day hike - double elevation gain (down to the lakes, up to the pass, back down to the lakes and then back up to the ridge on the way out). The road is in good shape, still some snow on the way up to the pass that you will have to cross, but I just used regular hiking shoes and hiking poles.

This trail is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. My friend and I started at Obstruction Point and didn't quite make it down to the lakes before we decided we should head back (it was getting a little late). The views along the ridge are truly breathtaking. If it's a little cloudy, it only makes it more awesome-- you're right up in the clouds. On this partly-cloudy day we hiked, the clouds were hanging out on one side of the ridges, just kind of billowing, so facing one way we were staring into an eerie misty void and on the other side looking across a sunlit valley at some awesome glacier-carved peaks. We were pretty overwhelmed by the beauty. It's a fairly steep hike down into the basin where the lakes reside, which is difficult on the return trip with tired legs, but totally worth it. We can't wait to come back.

Beware the slightly scary, narrow gravel road that leads to the trailhead... it's pretty bumpy and there are places where you might feel a little too close to the edge of the road and a steep tumble downhill. My sedan handled it okay, but my passenger and I were a little tense!

Do this trail. You will need a permit to stay at Grand & Moose Lake but well worth it. Stay at Moose Lake if you can, it's beautiful. The views from Grand Pass are breathtaking!