Echo Lake via Greenwater Trail

Echo Lake via Greenwater Trail is a 13.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Enumclaw, WA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

Just hiked this this weekend. Packed to echo lake and hung out for an afternoon. Trail was great! There was one bridge that leaned some but was still cross able and one bridge that was out but there were several new routes across the river. Was a great hike with an amazing view at the end

Beautiful trail with fantastic smells of the Forrest and the sounds of rushing water. The first bridge is in pretty bad shape so be careful!

Good bit of work on snowshoes, not a lot of signs along the trail which made it difficult to stick to the trail in 3ft of snow. Made it to the first lake in 3.5 hrs. The high bridge was a little sketchy with the railing missing in one section but still manageable. I'll do this one again in the summer!

Thought I'd take an easy hike in the rain yesterday but recent rain brought down a rock slide blocking the road! I tried clearing it but some rocks were just too big.

While most people probably have the good sense to hike in and camp, my group made a roundtrip day hike out of this one in about 7 hours. The payoff is AMAZING...such a beautiful lake!

WARNINGS: Some narrow spots on the trail when you reach the fork at Echo Lake/Lost Lake. Nothing scary, you just have to walk single file. About 2 miles before the lake, we passed a very muddy hole but it looked like workers were building a bridge over it. We also had to defend our lunch against a lot of bees and other bugs once we reached the lake to eat.

We enjoyed the ride the trail is made for hiking but the horses did well.
Well maintained trail.
Trail is steep in places. Best for experienced trail riders.

This is a great hike. LOVED everything except the last leg to Echo Lake, it is a good climb that had us (so-so shape & packed for an overnight) hoping the lake was around every corner and slightly rejoicing when the last half mile was down hill. It took us 4 hours each way.

Second time on this trail, and it's just as beautiful as the first time. Way more people on it this time trying to get down to, or come up from the water, since summer has been awfully warm.

Let the dogs play in the water at the few places you can easily access the river. Lots of campers on the lake, so we didn't get to go enjoy the shady side of the lake.

The hike to Echo was a good one. It had some good elevation gain that was giving me a good run with my pack on through the snow. After balancing over falling trees where the washed out bridge was just after Greenwater Lakes, I hiked a few miles and decided to go to Echo instead of Lost Lake so i turned left and continued the ascent. Pretty views of water and forest are abundant. I hit a lot of snow in the shaded spots and it made for a hell of a time walking. It was definitely a nice lake when i arrived. I don't fish but i hear it's a great fishing spot from my buddies. Maybe ill bring a pole next time i'm up and give it a try again.

This trail can be a little bit of a mixed bag. In the first few miles you end up sharing the trail with what I will call beer campers. The Greenwater lakes are beautiful, however because of the beer campers the camping experience can be challenging at best. In addition, the campsites at Greenwater lakes are small and spread out. This means that larger groups would not be able to camp with each other since the campsites will allow two tents at most. I have heard of a few sites at the lakes that larger groups could get into, but I could not find them when I was there. Now, if you pass Greenwater lakes and head into the wilderness you'll quickly find a group site (on the left) that could easily take 10 tents. It is also right next to the river and is gorgeous. To give you an idea of what I think of this place, I use the Greenwater lakes for very young cub scout groups... not for me or my family.

Here is where my review changes dramatically. As you head past Greenwater lakes and make your way either to Lost Lake (to the right), or to Echo Lake (to the left) the wilderness and views are amazing. Both of these areas and trails are easily five star experiences. The fishing at Echo Lake is outstanding.

I used the Alltrails app to find the head of the trail. It sent us down NFD-7140, which is closed. Since it didn't give us an alternate route on the app, we decided to walk along NFD-7140. Bad idea! It is in right above logged areas that are used as shooting practice ranges! Gun shots echoing everywhere and shell casings and beer cans were littering the road. A very disappointing day.

I absolutely love this hike. Suppose to take a backpack hike through there and camp. can't wait

Beautiful hike following a river as it comes from the mountains, you will walk along looking at the moss covered rock out croppings an the gentle roar of the river is almost constant until mile 6 and then it gets spooky with almost no sound at all. Gentle slope until mile 5 then it is a bit of a workout. The lake is beautiful and calm. Well worth the trip, we went on an overnight and then on the way out went to lost lake as a day hike, long weekend but it was worth it!

We finally did Greenwater Lake Trail from the main trail-head instead of hiking in the unofficial, short way to Lost Lake. We took a group of thirteen, with six of us camping for five days, ages ranging from 3-51. On many review sites this is called an easy hike, good for elderly, etc. While I think that it was a pretty standard day hike, I also think that many reviewers are not taking experience into account. It was NOT good for the elderly unless the elderly are used to hiking into steep, rocky and muddy places regularly. It involves a LOT of steep, rocky, slippery ground, bridge crossings (one with only one rail and single person wide), and has a TON of mud. Did I mention that there is mud? Due to the large group and the many children (3, 4, 8, 9, and 12), we just stopped at Greenwater Lake and set up. The weather was nice for all but one night, the wood in the forest, however, does NOT burn, UNLESS you know what you are doing and what to look for. This is not a grab any piece of felled wood kind of forest since it is seriously damp and wet even on the nice days due to tons of running water everywhere. The running river/streams everywhere ARE a plus when looking for good water to filter, though. There are a LOT of people that come through and NOT a lot of sites. Also, don't even bother with food in trees, make sure it is in your tent, and even then, the vast amount of completely unafraid wood mice will try to get in and steal it. They got so brave by night three that they were running on our feet at night while we tried to eat dinner around the fire. My daughter, 3, LOVED IT and named one Shaza. But expect it. All in all, a good time for a family, if your toddler or older kids like "roughing it" and backpacking. Due to trail conditions, and wet conditions, coupled with tons of mice, I probably won't do it again. Positive: RIVER views on the way are spectacular and clear, bridges are cool.

We don't go this route in. But the lake is so scenic and peaceful it almost hurts. I will try to update with the MUCH shorter, albeit a lot harder, way that we get into lost lake. Either way you get there, it is worth a pack trip and camp. There are amazing campsites, even for large groups. Some version of our group has been frequenting this lake every year for ten+ years (I joined about 4 years ago). We generally range from groups of 6-15. It can be super cold at night if you go anytime other than July or August and even then you are looking at possibly in the 40's or 50's. Good fishing, clear running stream feeding the lake and multiple rough campsites the entire perimeter of the lake. Cool fields on one side of the lake for group games. If you stay a few days, there is a good day hike to what we lovingly call "Dick Rock" as well as other various trails.