Eagle Peak Trail

Eagle Peak Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Longmire, WA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until September.

Directions from Longmire Plaza: Drive past the building with the flagpole, through the employee housing area and across a suspension bridge. Continue .1 miles and park in front of the Community Building. Walk a short distance back the road toward the bridge. The trailhead is on the right about 50 feet before reaching the bridge. As an alternative, park near the Longmire Museum or National Park Inn and walk to the trailhead. It is located 50 feet beyond the bridge on the left.

Easily accessible, yet surprisingly secluded trail. Arrived at the trailhead at 8:50 am on a beautifully sunny Saturday morning - only the second car parked.

Hiked a nicely maintained trail through the forest canopy for the first 2 or so miles. Moderate elevation gain with switchbacks to ease the strain. Emerge from the trees to a beautiful meadow. From here the hike becomes more difficult, especially the last .5 mile push up to the saddle.

Some pleasant surprises along the trail: a doe and her two fawns and a frog. Flowers were still beautiful and there were quite a few huckleberries along the trail, although most not ripe yet. Plenty of chipmunks scurrying about, butterflies and...bugs! Yes, we encountered quite a few mosquitos and flies for a certain stretch near the top, so bring your bug spray. The bugs do thin out at the saddle, so you should be able to relax and eat lunch.

On a clear day, enjoy stunning panoramic views when you reach the saddle. Mt. Rainier directly in front of you, Eagle Peak to your left and Mount St Helens, Adams and Hood as you turn.

this trail is 5.7 miles one way. I finished this hike with a little over 10 miles recorded. It was very pretty and the incline isn't all that bad considering you are climbing 2970ft upwards.

Good hike. Don't be fooled by the weather in Longmire. The weather can be very different above 4K feet

I thought the trail/views were ok - not great, but not bad either. Compared to many of the other trails near Longmire this one is a little more on the difficult side. The trail head is a little bit out of the way on the far east side of Longmire just past a one lane bridge.

used this trail for a hill workout. worst/best idea ever!!! one at the top explored the trails that are not maintained and got to the peak. there is a trail there along the left through some fallen down trees if you are willing to go. great time. with all the extra fooling around at the top whole trip took under 4 hours. great time. bring insect repellent. along the first meadow is a swarm of mosquitoes that have not seen blood in awhile. had only shorts and shoes and was a pretty bad section. can climb above them though. get through that meadow fast if going during august. overall a great day hike or hard run.

Just got back from hiking this trail--and it's definitely difficult! Young people who are in shape can do it no problem, but at my age (46) it's pretty hard the last 3/4 mile. But it's worth it. The view of Mount Rainier at the top is just spectacular. You also get views of Adams, and a lot of the Cascades. It was overcast when I went, so I don't know if you might be able to see even more on a clear day.
The trail itself is very well maintained for the majority of the hike. Soft pine needles cushion most of the path, with long stretches without even roots or rocks. Most of the hike is also nicely shaded for comfort on a hot day. There's a stream at about the halfway point for refilling water bottles.
The top 3/4 to 1 mile is a bit of a different story. Big loose rocks cover a lot of the trail, and the climb is much more arduous. And not shaded much at all. Not to mention the mosquitoes were out in force! And then come the "stairs"! The last maybe third of a mile has a lot of large steps--also with loose rock. Our group went very slowly on the way down, but still had several slips.
Once at the top, there's a nice area to sit and eat a well earned meal. And the view is just great! I don't know of a closer view of Mount Rainier anywhere.
I'm not sure why this is called a crowded trail--we saw a total of 19 people all together in our 5 hours on the trail. Very nice, really. Maybe we were just lucky?

A really nice hike that I think gets over looked because of its trail head location. I crossed the bridge in the jeep and parked on that side I don't think people know you can do that cause the small parking lot was empty.

The 3000 ft. in elevation gain seemed harder then it should in my opinion but it was worth it. The views at the top are great and got to see my first Mt Goat on Rainier while I was resting at the top.

Once you cross the stream you hear while going up the switch backs you know your half way there. The hike continues on a pretty steady slope up all the way to the top. I did this on the 14th of July and after the first Meadow valley I ran into some snow and lost the trail so I ate my PB&J and a few others showed up who had better tracking skills then I so I followed them in to find it was only a few hundred yards of snow then it cleared just as you get to the base of the steep last half mile. The views at this point make the rest of the hike a non-issue.

Overall a great hike with only a few others on the trail and the flowers are starting to come out.