Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail

Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, WA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great way to do Dog Mountain (a little longer, but worth it). The trail is in fantastic condition. The most spectacular wildflower meadows of the Columbia Gorge drape the alp-like slopes of Dog Mountain, north of the Columbia River in Washington. in May and June these hills are alive yellow balsamrot, red paintbrush and blue lupine. Even flowerless seasons provide breathtaking views of the Columbia Gorge. Such beauty has made the steep climb popular, but with three trails to the top, you can choose your route.

Hiked this back in September for a conditioning hike for scouts. Weather was horrible but over level 2 fun, definitely will hike it again on a nice day to enjoy the views.

Extremely challenging (and awesome) hike, not for those with a fear of heights. There are many places along the trail with very steep drop offs. Keep your dog on a leash! The views are incredible! The wind was also incredible at the top, so bring an extra layer to throw on once you get up there so that you can stay a while and enjoy the views.

Only had a clear view from puppy lookout but still a beautiful hike. Went up Dog and was able to run most of the way down Aug.

We hiked this 5/29/16 . The views of the wildflowers are absolutely spectacular on top! My husband & I are fairly new to this type of hiking & we found even the easy route was challenging due to incline. Hiking down was harder than hiking up on the knees so if you have trekking poles bring them , you won't be sorry

Very difficult, but worth the effort! Missed the flowers though (but that's my own fault). Spectacular views at the top.

If you are looking for something a step up from Angel's Rest, this is the hike for you. We went up Augsperger trail and then down Dog Mountain trail. I would recommend that over just Dog Mountain up and down if you are looking to get a little more privacy and quiet. Be prepared for odd weather. It was fairly clear down below but above roughly 1500' we were in fog with medium wind and the temperature dropped roughly 20 degrees I would guess. Beautiful hike and the wildflowers were in full bloom.

Decent trail, i can get quite windy up on top of dog mountain. The views are fantastic

Very hard, took me three hours to go up in one hour to come down. that's just to put it in perspective. Would definitely say this is a hard, not intermediate hike. The view was absolutely amazing, felt like I was on a different planet!!

Don't go for a sunrise hike like so many people I saw, you CANNOT see the sun rising from any of the peaks on any of the trails near Dog Mountain. The best time to go is in the afternoon and sunset right (Early May 2016). I just went on the 6th and all of the wild flowers are in full bloom, entire mountain side is covered in yellow, orange, purple, and white flowers everywhere! If you can stay for golden hour (right before sunset) you'll get an incredible shot of the sun blazing orange lit sun hitting the yellow flowers facing west.

Go now

This hike is well worth the effort! The views and flowers in spring are marvelous! It would be 5 stars if it wasn't for the bugs! Be sure to spray yourself well before heading up.

I took the long way but it was worth it. Still have to run down the mountain though. The trails are steep on the decent.

It was beautiful, I went the short way to watch the sunrise in early morning. Cold but worth it.

A fairly tough climb. Best done in spring when the flowers are in bloom!

Great trail with awesome views. Did this hike just the other day so no wildflowers but the autumn color in the trees and shrubbery is starting to debut. I would guess that within the next couple weeks the autumn leaves will look amazing. The ascent is no joke though, I'm in very good shape and this was challenging for my calves, not recommended for those not in good shape. Coming down Auspburger Trail is much kinder on your knees however there are still a few patches of old rock slides covering the trail that I like to call "ankle breakers" so just be aware of that. I was fine but my older father had a more tough time crossing those sections. I'd like to hike this when there are wildflowers but I don't like sharing trails with throngs of people so maybe I won't. I hear it gets super crowded and congested during the summer when the wildflowers are in bloom.

Just completed this hike, but we hike down via the middle (more difficult) trail, and boy what a workout. I do not like hiking down and this was the toughest I did as far as hiking down, the relentless descent just almost killed my knees. However, the view at the summit was a wonderful and very worth it reward. I'd say, I will do it again, and gonna try to do the red trail up and hike down via Ausperger trail.

This one is a great workout. Take an extra shirt to change into once at the top because you'll soak the one you're wearing with sweat. The top was windy, cloudy and cold but the views are incredible. Hillsides with wild flowers and the gorge as far as you can see in both directions. This is a loop, so the hike down was pretty muddy and slippery in spots due to earlier rain.

Dog Mountain, where your options are "Difficult" or "More Difficult". I like hikes that make me sore the days following. A must-see during wold flower season.