Dirtyface Peak Trail

Dirtyface Peak Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October.

rock climbing

Directions from Lake Wenatchee: Travel northwest on State Route 207 to the Lake Wenatchee Ranger Station.

This trail was awesome! Hiked it on May 3rd. It was a little difficult to find the way around once we got to the snow, but the views at the top were outstanding. Just to note, the trail is 4.5 up and 4.5 down. bring plenty of water and snacks! we were a little low on snacks and it made the way back down a little more difficult.

This hike was no joke! My husband and I counted 99 switchbacks. The views however, are absolutely spectacular and worth every step. The trail doesn't seem too terribly well traveled as there is a lot of shrubs and plant overgrowth. We prefer hikes where we don't see a lot of others on the trail so this was not a problem, we only ran into 4 other groups.

Lake Wenatchee can get very windy. There were also some forest fires in the area several years ago. So it makes sense that there are several downed trees on this trail. You'll have to go over and under about 20 trees but the trail is otherwise in decent shape. I ran into snow about 3/4 mile from the top. From that point the "trail" became a steep scramble straight up through 4 ft deep soft snow which was very slippery on the way down. I brought micro-spikes which made it a little easier. Nice views of Lake Wenatchee and Fish Lake as well as surrounding peaks in every direction from the top. Wildflowers were blooming on the lower section of the trail. I started at noon and was back at the car around 5pm. It was a good early season workout - especially the top part. Overall I enjoyed it.

This is a really great hike with a 360 degree view at the top. However, the final 1000 feet up (this is a guesstimate) are snow. This made it challenging. Luckily I met strangers who were really great trail people to connect with and I wouldn't have finished the hike had I not because I was a female and hiking solo. To compare the difficulty of this hike to those I know well, it is between dog mountain and mount defiance in the columbia river gorge. Maybe not even as steep. The hard part was the snow near the top.

I hated this hike! Steep with no mercy. But I probably feel that way because it was one of my first high hikes. Maybe I would feel a little differently today if i tried it again, but I really have no desire to go back.

Good steeper trail. Snow 3/4 way up to lookout, continued onto other points on the ridge.

Steep but not terribly so, this is a pretty trail that sees few visitors. All 3 times I was there I had the trail to myself. No real water crossings but snow patches as you gain elevation. One of my favorites.

long time ago