Dickerman Mountain Trail

Dickerman Mountain Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, WA that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Verlot: Travel east along the Mt. Loop Hwy., 16.6 miles to the trailhead on the left (north) side of the highway.

Dickerman is tough, but the view from the peak is gorgeous, and would be sublime on a clear, blue-sky day. The initial switchbacks are tough, with constant elevation gain. Then things settle for a while, as the trail travels through alpine meadows and in places follows a light stream. The last part again is difficult with lots of elevation gain. This is not a 5.7 mile hike as is listed in All Trails. The literature from the Verlot Ranger Station says 8.4, but 2 separate GPS units had it right about 10 miles. Not sure where the "5.7" came from.
There was about 6" of snow at the peak, and the wind was blowing, so very cold. Probably won't be hike-able for much longer this season.
Your knees will definitely get a workout on your way down. But overall beautiful old-growth forest, meadows, and more avian wildlife than I see on many hikes (several I couldn't identify up near the peak, but also ravens and a large grouse). Looking forward to trying this hike again on a clear day in June.

Great hike but definitely *not* 5.7 miles round trip. More like 8.5. It's a tough hike but the view at top is outstanding. We were pretty wiped after this hike. Recommend poles.

Constant, pretty steep, switchbacks. Pretty trail but I gave three stars because I did not enjoy the switchbacks.

This hike will definitely keep you huffing and puffing. Bring at least a gallon or more of water and plenty to eat, you're going to need it. I got a late start but didn't intend to go as far as I did. I was making great time and decided to push on. I see where I stopped I still had a ways to go. But it is a good hike. It's gets rockier towards the top. Wildflowers are at the top. The views are amazing and there was plenty to see from where I was. The only huge obstacles were 2 huge boulders to get over or around. Be careful getting around that. That was towards top as you come out of the forest.

Views views views!

The 2nd half of the hike is spectacular. Easily among my favorites in Washington.

I can see how this could be a hot hike on some days because of exposure but last Sunday was absolutely perfect, 70 degrees and a light breeze. Some snow to cross, but nothing major.

Well worth the work of the lower elevation switchbacks.

The switch backs are worth the view! The trail starts with several switchbacks through second growth forest. The vies are limited to the near by tree, but if you're quiet you can really enjoy this part too on a low traffic day. After the switchbacks you come to meadows with amazing views of the peaks all around you. There were still some snow patches to cross before reaching you summit. (They were easy and can be done in tennis shoes.) Once up top you really realize how far you've climbed and how small we are as people. This is a great hike for the weekend warrior.

BRING WATER

A little of everything, meadows (or snow fields), second growth, great views of Big Four, Vesper, Pilchuck, Rainier. Be prepared for the difficulty, especially in early season.

Great views at top. still snow covered the last mile and a half or so. Which made for a pretty solid leg day. Getting pretty slushy. Lots of thin snow covering melt run off. might wanna give it another month. Wouldn't wanna risk injury with all of summer just ahead.

Just went up 11/4/15 at around 9:00am. Got to the top at 11:30. Trail was great through the woods. Plenty of switchbacks. About half way in the trail became icy and there was tons of snow. With the right shoes this trail is still 100% enjoyable. May want to think about bringing poles or a traction system for your shoes.

Absolutely beautiful - especially with fall colors coming in. No bugs. Not easy but very do-able. Just the right intensity for me. Very easy to get to w good roads all the way.

The trail is at least 4.3 miles in per sign at trail head, so 8.6 miles round trip. My gps on my phone said I did 13 miles total, but we did quite a bit of exploring at the top. There are lots of little well-groomed off trails in flat areas where the views are stunning. The place is magical, and with 70 degree weather on a Monday afternoon in August, it wasn't crowded. Plenty of room at the top to get privacy and there were at least 3-4 other groups when we got there. We only passed 2-3 groups coming in. I'm not a camper and this place had me wanting to spend the night. My husband and I stayed at the top for over an hour and had the place to ourselves. We were scrambling to get down the mountain before it got dark in the tree cover. We made it out just in time around 8:30pm. It took us 2 hours to climb and 2 hours down, but the only real break we took was at top. I felt like I was in Jurassic park. Love this mountain!

Awesome hike! Wild blueberries, huckleberry and Thimbleberry, Black bears and a breathtaking view

Moderate hike in 90 degree weather, made it a little challenging, but absolutely worth it. Amazing 360° views! This trail is listed on WTA site as 8.2 miles. My friend got 9.5 on his GPS. Whichever; it is definitely NOT 5.8 miles.

Not a beginner trail! It was pretty strenuous to the top but once you did it was worth it. After you get through some switchbacks there are some very scenic meadows and the summit it unbelievable. You can see as far south as Tacoma and Mt. Rainier, north to Mt. Baker and most of the Olympic peninsula. Bring sunscreen!

Amazing!