Davis Peak Lookout Trail

Davis Peak Lookout Trail is a 9.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

The trail is well-maintained. Endless switchbacks and many portions are exposed due to the past fire. The highest peak is in the middle and you need to go down the basin, then go up to the abanded lookout site. After that, cross a ridge (not difficult) to the peak, which is a very small place to hold only 2-3 people.

Trail switchbacks give a great workout. However, the trail has not yet been maintained this early in the year. So you'll have to negotiate a few down trees. Furthermore, it is hard to follow the trail above 5400 feet as the mountain still has deep snow. Great views and I'll be back.

11/08/2014 (Saturday) - The weather was perfect, so I returned to this trail to finish what I had started a month ago. This trail is more long than difficult. There are many trees over the trail right now though. The switchbacks are relentless for the first 2/3 of the way up. A fire came through a portion of the hill near the top, leaving snags that have become bleached in the sun. This opened up the views and created some variation to the trek up. It would be a shame to stop at the fire lookout location without continuing to the end of the trail which overlooks the northern wilderness. The views are stunning and made the trip worth the effort.

More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com

10/11/14 (Saturday) - I can't rate the hike yet because I didn't finish it. I arrived at the trailhead too late in the day and the weather was starting to turn nasty. From a distance we could see that the top of the mountain had already received a dusting of snow and we were unprepared for that. I did walk up to the river crossing and took a few photos of the bridge to post. It's really nice and the fall foliage is stunning right now. If we get another clear weekend soon, I'll be back.

More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com

I hit the trail at 7:30am trying to avoid the heat. I'm really glad I did because I had the trail to myself and I could see where it would get hot in many sections which would make the hike up seem a lot more difficult if you get a late start. I only passed about a 10 people on the way down after lunch - and it was a bright sunny Saturday. There were 1/2 dozen downed trees and shrubs completely covered the trail in parts, so long pants came in handy. When you finally get to the round rock foundation which is what remains of the old lookout enjoy nice views east towards Mt Stuart. But don't stop there - for the best views follow the trail west along the ridge for about another 1/3 mile for some really great 360 views including Mt Daniel to the north and Bears Breast towering above Lake Waptus to the west. Not an easy hike for beginners because of the elevation gain and length, but it didn't feel any more difficult than Granite Mountain or Mt Si on the other side of the pass.

Davis Peak was fun challenging hike. This is only my 3rd Mountain hike. My previous hikes were Mt. Allen, Alberta and Mt Dickerman, WA. Davis Peak is right up there with those in regards to difficulty and in scenery. My hike had most the views obscured by forest fire smoke. Still was a great hike. If I had to guess I would say that Davis Peak is a bit harder of a climb then Mt Dickermen and has better views over all.

I did a My Tracks with google maps of my trip. See the link.