Chuckanut Mountain

Chuckanut Mountain is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bellingham, WA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I have done this trail system a few different times. There is a pretty good climb from the two different trail heads but not that bad once you up in it. It's a good trail system to get the horses in shape. I would say you need a good map with you for this area because it isn't well marked. We did the chuckanut ridge trail on our last time up. The best views that I have seen on this system are on this trail. Be warned though, the chuckanut ridge trail has rather large rocks you need to climb up, but worth the views. I wouldn't take any horses with shoes on to the chuckanut ridge trail due to the table rocks and some of the tight footholds to climb the rocks. The rest of the system is safe for shoed horses though. People should remember that there could be horses on this system and if you see them please don't hide say hello and move to the lower side of the trail (predators come from above). Most horses (especially the ones I ride) love to see people and will even greet you and your dog if you have one as they pass. Good trail system it just isn't well marked.

The only reason I gave this trail 3 stars is because it's not marked very well, even with a map we had a hard time telling which way to go, but we made it to the Falls, which is barely trickling. Otherwise it is beautiful through here. We started at the N. Chuckanut Trail Head, started on Interurban trail, to Helmlock then Chuckanut Falls. In certain areas there are posts telling you which way to go. There are trails branching off the one your on that are not on the map. The provided link has maps. Click on to the link, then Chuckanut Mountain, below the photo is you scroll down it will tell you distance from the different trail heads, otherwise click on to the link below the photo, then click on to the blue link, then go to maps and publications, then maps.