Cascade Pass Trail

Cascade Pass Trail is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Marblemount, WA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from August until October.

rock climbing

Directions from Stehekin: Take the shuttle northward along Stehekin River Road to Glory Mountain. At the end of the shuttle route hike northward along the road to Cottonwood Trailhead. The trail leads westward from Cottonwood Trailhead.

The switchbacks will put you to work, but it's worth it!

Intense number of bugs in the afternoon. Mosquito swarms in the morning. Beautiful views though.

One of my favorite hikes in the north cascades.

Crystal clear day. It is obvious why this is listed as one of the state's top ten hikes! Something for every taste. It starts with an ascent through a nice forest area, then breaks out to outstanding valley views until you get to the pass. A mountain range comes into view as you crest the pass to a very nice rest area with seating and a toilet in the woods near by. You can see the trail heading down the valley toward Stehekin. You then start a steep, exposed ascent over a ridge. Another set of outstanding mountain views reveal themselves as you crest the ridge and approach the intersection with the trail down to Doubtful Lake. This is a very nice glacier lake with a green tint and a clear view to the bottom. A long waterfall sends water into the lake. Stay left and head up Shalale Arm toward the glacier. We stopped at the last knoll and had lunch while gazing at the glacier and mountain ranges in every directions. The trail continues from here up toward Shalale Peak to a camping area over a ridge and next to the ice. We could see a trail across the ice toward the peak. On the way back, I paused the track recording and forgot to turn it back on. Therefore, this track reads 7.5 miles, but it was actually about 11.6 round trip to the point we stopped for lunch and then headed back down. Next year, I am intent to make it at least to the camp sites! If you would like to camp there, you need a permit. No pets are allowed on the trails.

My wife and I joined our hiking group to hike to Cascade Pass and a portion of Sahale Arm Trail. The weather was clear and the high temperature was into 90's. Due to this winter's low snow accumulation the trail was free of snow and flowers were blooming. Deer flies were annoying and my wife and I were bitten in the shoulder and the arm despite of applying bug spray. The view was gorgeous all around.

This was an amazing hike stayed at Pelton basin camp which is a great campsite with lots of wildlife in the area. remember to bring bug repellent because the mosquitos were pretty bad. Next day woke up and made the hike up to the sahale glacier, very strenuous hike but once you're at the top the views are unbelievable. I highly recommend this hike.

An amazing hike with gorgeous views, breath taking water falls, tons of wildlife. Stayed at the Basin Creek Campground, great little camp Ground with 4 sites, a cook area and a toilet!
Can't wait to go back!

Many switchbacks make this trail easy to climb and it is well worth the effort. Make sure and start early so you can hike down into the valley it is beautiful

Because of a late start I only hiked to the pass. The trail to to pass gains 1800 ft. in 3.7 miles (one way) according to the Park Service trail guide. I counted the switch backs on the way down and got a total of 35. I have seen the number reported as between 22-27. Anyway, it is a beautiful hike and the view from the pass is a great reward!!

Camped at Johannesburg on Friday night and woke up to one of the clearest day I think you can get up here. No clouds in the sky at all. Crystal clear. Made the hike up to the pass with no ice axe. June 21 there was lots I've snow on the trail but I had some climber in front of me blazing a great trail. To views from the top are with out a doubt some of the most amazing I've seen. A really great trail and as a result it gets a lot of use. Be ready for hikers on the trail.

I got out of here just before 60 people got stranded. I got caught in a deluge on the way out in August 2013 and I believe I was the last one out before the road washed out. I took a picture of the swollen creek at the bridge that washed out.

My daughter and I did the hike to Cascade Pass this past weekend and it was fantastic. This was my first visit to the North Cascade National Park and I enjoyed it a lot. It is late enough in the year that the sun goes down behind the peaks by 4 PM and it starts to cool down a lot. The trail was mostly free of snow until we reached the pass. The temp's were about 34F at the parking lot but it warmed up quite a bit as we moved in to the sunshine. Definitely dress in layers when you plan this trip.

I will plan better next time so I can make it all the way to Sahale Glacier or Doubtful Lake.

Breathtaking! Trail is in excellent condition and wildflowers are still in bloom. Yes the trail gains 1400" in about 2 miles but the switchbacks make it tolerable and it's a wonderful payoff the whole way.
The Sahale arm is challenging I won't lie, but well worth the effort. Mountain goats we unimpressed with us 2 legged folk.

We hiked to Sahale Arm and were amazed by the beauty and uniqueness of the area. Snow covered mountains and Glaciers were everywhere. Some of us hiked to the glacier and found camping circles made of rock which are used as wind protection. We saw mountain goats, marmots and grouse. Tons of wildflowers and endless beauty. The trail is easy to the pass but more challenging from the pass to Sahale glacier. You will feel like you are in Austria. We highly recommend this hike

The views from the ridge high above Doubtful Lake make this one of my all time favorite hikes. Half the people turn around at the pass, which is a nice view in itself. But the extra climb up Sahale Arm to the left of the pass is definately worth it.