Carbon River Road

Carbon River Road is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buckley, WA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

off road driving

off road driving

Lots of the road was washboard but we just went slow, although I have a truck with 4 wheel drive, I'm not extremely harsh on it. When we got up to the lake it was stunning, pristine and perfect! I spent a good 2 hours up there letting my dog swim, walking around and on the off road trails! I wish I would have had my camping gear and no work the next day!

Fun for the kids to play, the water is low enough you don't have to worry about them being washed away.

Honestly, this hike is just the main road that leads to the Ipsut Campground which is no longer able to be driven to with washouts. There are plenty of spur hikes to do off this road including, Green Lake, Chenuis Falls (bridge is out), Ipsut Falls at the end of the road on the right; just outside of the campground and If you decide to continue past the road, it turns into trail and splits to head to the Carbon Glacier and Mowich Lake. Both are awesome hikes. Take your time and watch your step with the trail detours. Happy hiking.

Good place to ralley!

Easy trail from ranger station to Ipsup Creek. 5 miles each way and flat. Nice campground-an old RV camp left over from when the road was drivable. Picnic tables, food boxes and an outhouse. Trail past Ipsup was all washed out enroute to Carbon River camp.

add more pics

Had a great time exploring along the carbon river. I highly recommend taking the .2 mile detour to the left to a waterfall that I can't remember the name of, it's the only .2 mile detour to a waterfall though, so should not be hard to find. Short walk to a picturesque scenery, it's worth checking out. Such a beautiful walk down the old road and plenty of nice views. I recommend it.

Bumpy road