Camp Muir Route Via Skyline Trail

Camp Muir Route Via Skyline Trail is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, WA that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September.

skiing

An extreme dayhike to Muir, the primary base camp for summit expeditions.

My pinnacle hike to date. Generous respect for the uphill climb on the snowfield. A beautiful day on 10/12/16. Do it but make sure you respect Rainier.

Intense hike that will test you mentally and physically. Be ready for changing weather, and be ready for insane views. An experience that will be remembered for a long time.

Nice challenging hike, the weather changes fast though. Be prepared to sit for a little while if weather comes in. Glad to have been up there though. Hoping next time its just a stop on the way up to the top!

best hike I have ever done so far, beautiful morning sunshine, rapid weather change afternoon, clouds clears out after midnight leaves astonishing night sky with clear view of the Milky Way

Amazing views all the way up... when the weather cooperates. Very difficult climb through the snow, but worth it.

Amazing, relentless climb to the Camp Muir.

I stayed at Paradise Inn so the trail head parking was not an issue. I would get there early if you are not staying at the Inn so you can grab a spot and beat the crowds. You begin immediately upward on this gorgeous hike through meadows on clearly marked trail until you reach the Pebble creek crossing. After crossing, I stopped and put on my micro-spikes as the remainder of the hike takes you up through the Muir Snow field. Poles are needed to make your ascend easier. Don't forget your sunscreen and glasses. I was lucky to have a clear PNW day but be prepared for a climate change at the drop of a hat. This hike ranks up there with the Half Dome Yosemite hike in terms of "awesome-ness!!" Food at the Paradise Inn is really good (for the area) so don't be afraid to pop in for some great post-trail eats.

geocaching

Combined to Camp Muir and slept in provided bunker for a couple hours, then headed up shortly before midnight to reach the summit of Mount Rainier in time of sunrise and before the sun became too hot! By far the most challenging thing I've done physically in my entire life. The push brought great reward and the views during the climb and at the top were HEAVENLY!!!!

geocaching

Wish we brought our ice cramp on, but we did ok with poles, outdoor jacket and backpacking boots.
Left paradise parking around 9:00 and we were at the camp by 1:00. Left the camp 1:30 and arrived at the parking 4:30.
Most of time it was sunny but occasionally strong wind.
This is not regular hiking like skyline loop. Running shoes don't work here.

Let me start by saying that I'm not in good shape, but do hike often. It was sheer determination to finish the last 1,500ft climb. Just one step at a time. The pain was totally worth it...Absoultely beautiful views! We brought trash bags and slid most of the way down. It was so much fun and rewarding after the struggle up.

It was tough. I was 100 yards from Camp Muir and I had to turn around because of a storm coming out of nowhere.

Rainy, snowy and absolutely breathtaking.

Incredible day hike or overnight camp... watch the sunset and sunrise... incredible! Hit Sugarloaf Peak, McClure Rock and Anvil Rock on the way up! With 40lbs on my back... this was a quad-burner... but so worth it!!! Going back 4/27/16 to hike up and snowboard down!

Plenty of trails to choose from. We frequent these trails in the summer when there is less chance of falling through snow crevices. The beautiful meadows and waterfalls are a must see!!

Epic hike