Burroughs Mountain Trail

Burroughs Mountain Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from May until November.

wonderful hike!

I recommend making it to the third. I met a group of mountain goats between the second and the third Burroughs. When you reach the third you will feel like you can touch MT rainier definitely worth the effort. I completed the loop and reached Fremont lookout on the same day. Beautiful mountain.

Made the hike today to the first Burrough and it was beautiful. So different than most hikes as it looks like another planet at the top. Clear, sunny and it was a great day to be up at the mountain.

Took Sourdough out to first Burroughs, which offered a very nice view of Rainier and the surrounding valley. There was some snow on the ground at the end of September, and the wind was very cold once we got to the top! I wish we could have gone on further; the view was incredible.

This was a spectacular hike! Definitely make it all the way to the third Burroughs as the view of Mount Rainier is breathtaking! It is the closest you can get to the summit without climbing gear. The hike itself is easy-moderate with a decent elevation gain. Beautiful meadows, vast tundra, and wildlife can be seen along the way. I will definitely be coming back!

2nd Burroughs Mtn is one of the best places to see the sunrise. No roads are in view and no car noise can be heard. The trail is in great shape. I came across a herd of 35 plus Mtn Goats.

Took Sunrise Trail to the 2nd Burroughs and came back along the Sunrise Rim Trail (about 7-ish miles). Lots of elevation gains to get the blood pumping but don't let that scare you -- I saw a fair amount of kiddos and a lot of older adults with poles crushing it out there. Sunrise Rim Trail can get a little narrow with steep, rocky drop-offs so you might want to consider taking your small kiddies back the way you came up if they tend to go barreling down trails way ahead of you. Great views of Mt. Rainier all along the way when the weather cooperates and very nice, informative staff.

9/4: Another great day on the mountain. Light foot traffic, and temps in the mid 60's. A few clouds started to roll in as we made it back to the car. Stopped at second Burroughs, gonna have to wait on third for another day.

By far my favorite!! Beautiful view of the Mountain that day! Lucky! Flowers were not out this time of year but it didn't matter it was so pretty. Great work out and the very blue lake we found next to the White river was breadth taking!! Highly recommend
this hike!

08-23-14 - Fantastic hike. No bugs for some reason. Saw a family of mt goats coming off the mountain as I was headed up. I started at the White River Campground and took the Glacier Basin trail to the trail heading up the mountain to the Burroughs, then around Shadow Lake and down again on the Wonderland Trail. That's a tough hike, so if you want to do the loop like I did then you might want to reverse the route. Lots of tourist bus crowds if you hit the timing wrong. Get there early to avoid it.

More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com

Nice sunny day with enough wind to keep us cool and bugs off the trail. Went with the nephews and niece and only got to first Burroughs point, still got great views of Mt Rainier from Sunrise parking lot to our turn around point. Will definitely come up a few times this summer to try going to further and try out Mt Fremont lookout. Saw a friendly marmot on our way down that had the kids excited for walking soo far.

Be in good shape, I did 10 miles, round trip, starting from Sunrise parking lot and go up for 5 miles and 7500 feet high, a lot snow total round trip 7-1/2 hours

Gorgeous views. I've hiked this trail several times over the years and never get tired of the in-your-face views of Rainier. Definitely one of the best hikes on the northeast side of Rainier. By the 3rd burrough the top or Rainier will feel so close that you could almost touch it. There has almost always been snow on the trail the farther/higher you take it. So poles might come in handy depending on what time of year you hike this trail.

This trail is nice, great views, the wild flowers were out. After the second burrough there was a large group of mountain goats. You get some great views of Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, and Glacier Peak. We did this hike at 7 AM, the weather was perfect warm enough not to wear a coat but not so hot that you needed a ton of water. The trail is pretty easy most of the way, the hardest part that we noticed was the climb to the second burrough, and the longest climb is between the second and third.

There is still some snow, shoes with good traction are advised.

Great hike more than We expected. Got a little hairy though because the actual loop on the south side was covered in snow and due to the angle and not having crampons it forced us to change the route with some scrambling. The hike took longer then expected but the views and memories are awesome.