Buck Creek Pass - High Pass

DIFFICULTY 1 reviews

Buck Creek Pass - High Pass is a 19 mile out and back trail located near Methow, WA. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until October.

I'm guessing it was almost 10 miles from the trailhead at Trinity just to get to Buck Creek Pass and then another 4+ miles to the High Pass area so I think it is closer to 14 miles just one way - a little far for most people to do as a day hike. The Buck Creek stretch through the trees was nice and the incline was gradual but the High Pass section is what makes it all worth it. Offers great views of green meadows, jagged peaks, and some of the best views of Glacier Peak that you will find. A loop version of the trail connecting over to Spider Meadow is a popular alternative, but I didn't have the time to do so.

I hiked to Buck Creek Pass on day 1 - there were several campsites to choose from and a stream that offered the main water source. I hiked up to High Pass on day 2 - the trail starts off with some gradual switchbacks around Liberty Cap and offers great views of Glacier Peak and the meadows to the west. Almost all of the High Pass trail provides unobstructed views (no shade either). As you get to the first pass, you will be treated with views to the east of Fortress, Chiwawa Mtn etc. From that point on the trail switches back and forth along the edge of a high ridge. I made it to the north side of Triad Lake where the views are amazing. One of my favorite hikes so far. I spent another night at the same campsite before heading out on day 3.