Black Diamond Coal Mine Trail

Black Diamond Coal Mine Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Black Diamond, WA that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This used to be a great place to horseback ride, but once again, the mountain bikers came in, built additional trails and then made nearly all the original ones off-limits. County records show this land was secured for multi-use, yet they have taken over virtually every trail. I've been riding in the area since the 1980's and find this recreation group very frustrating.

Awesome lake, great park.

was a good 3.5 hour hike.

Went for a biking adventure today with my family. Warning!!!! do not go biking there if you are not on a mountain bike! LOL. My bad though, I brought my hybrid bike (road bike/mountain bike), and it's groaning. The trail was fun for everyone else though, they also didn't have a toddler in the back on a baby seat. My bad again! Would have been even more fun if the trails were better marked but overall was awesome!

great trails not too difficult not a simple walk, many small paths for people who like to adventure even deeper.

lots of little trails that link together and make it really hard to get lost!you can access lake sawyer. we take our horses

Coolest place!!!!!! The scenery is gorgeous and theirs all kinds of different routes to take some are scary as hell some are flat ground some have incline some are downhill some are bridges it varies! Best place ever especially since I live right by it!

Poorly marked trails.

been better if it was marked better I mean all the trails are fun for hiking 3.5 hours but would help people finding there way if marked better

Good mountain biking trail, also great for hiking.

I couldn't find anything in the pictures ...... Went for about 6miles and nothing ..... And there's 2 different ways to go and I got lost ... Not really fun for me

Nice trail. It seems to be predominately mountain bikers using it but they seemed friendly enough to us hikers. I did the 9 mile loop and the scenery was beautiful. It went from forest trail to open field with scrub brush then back to forest trail. Not to hard with very low inclines. Overall it was a nice relaxing stroll through the forest with a little bit of dodging bikes.

I wanted to write a review on how to exactly find this trail, and how to also experience the gorge in all its grandeur. From highway 169 you're going to find a street called Lawson.. Follow that for around 2.5 miles (if you still have trouble go to the historic district and ask the ladies at the museum. depot ) The trailhead and the river trail will be on your right, behind a gate and before the stoplight bridge over the gorge. If you want to see the gorge as well, go over the bridge and pay to park with the man in the shack on the left side of the road (he has an old staircase leading down). My final note is that when you get up the hill and you see the old mining cart labeled "Franklin" with some signs directing not you towards the cemetery to the left. My advice is to go see the cemetery first ( some great views of Rainer to the left through the trees on a clear day), but after you've seen the cemetery you should turn back and continue back down the trail and stay to the right of the mining cart. Nothing past the cemetery than some biking trails really.

More for bicyclists than hikers

Hiked around the trails today. Really warm today so we headed out early. Parked at Ravensdale Creek and hoped to find the cemetery. We never did, found a campsite set-up for homeless? Turned around and walked through a neighborhood to find the trail again, had to walk up a Long driveway to find the start of the trail. 5 stars for mountain biking, 3 star for hiking. Hiked along the Beaver Track and had to scramble over a tree down in the path.

We found open space and the church owned property, but we were unable to find this trail, and suggestions?

It's a nice hike and really nice running trail clean and well managed

Great place for a quick getaway from the city.