Bells Mountain Trail

Bells Mountain Trail is a 16.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yacolt, WA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from February until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From Moulton Falls, the trail begins with a one mile steep incline through lush forest. Towards the top of Bell's Mountain, the trail goes through a clear cut. The trail is well marked every half mile but there is a road crossing near the top of Bell's Mountain that is a bit hard to pick up. When you hit the road, turn left and follow the road around to the right for about 100 yards. There is a cairn where the trail picks up again. The trail continues along the slopes of Bell's Mountain and Spotted Dear Mountain and and then descends and runs along or near Cedar Creek until the end, which is just South of the Cold Creek Day Use Area. Many folks hike the entire 7.7 mile trail as a point-to-point and have someone pick them up at the Cold Creek Day Use Area. Others just do an out-and-back from Moulton Falls. Either way, it's a great hike with spectacular views!

Tuff and beautiful hike. runs into logging roads that connect with multiple trails from that point. Don't go unprepared like the rookies complaining about not finding the trail and bring some form of map with you. This hike literally is a gateway to multiple-day hikes and other trails, so you can easily get lost if you go unprepared. Great trail to get to Rock Creek, Tarbell, Pyramid Rock, Silverstar Mountain, and other beautiful areas. Not a hike for the inexperienced in my opinion.

8 hours from Moulton Falls parking lot to the crossroads and back plus a 20 minute break at thr falls at the top. My time does include stopping to take in the view at around the 1.5 mile point and photos. In regard to views, not really worth going past that, but I am endurance training. Lots of clear cut = boring and sunny (it was like 90 when I went). The trail is in good shape though; some blackberries starting to creap across the trail but nothing major. At the 2.5 mile mark is a logging road; turn right (down hill) and the trail will continue on your right. The first quarter mile or so is the hardest in regard to incline.

At the bottom it mentions other trails, but there's only one trail I could find. I was kind of a boring hike leading to a dead end. I eventually ended up running the whole way back, because of how steep it was going back.

Such a beautiful view when u get to the top.. Worth the hike!!!

Beautiful scenery. First part of the hike gives you a nice workout since it is mostly uphill, but it is worth it. Look forward to going back to do some backpacking/camping.

when you get to the logging road turn right walk down about 100 yards the trail will be on the left. enjoy the hike

when you get to the logging road turn Right walk down about 100 yards on your left will be a trail continue from there. enjoy the hike

It was a awesome hike today. But ounce you hit the logging road at 2.5 miles where does it connect to the rest of the trail anyone know?

This was a beautiful trail! We decided to bike the trail with our 9 month old though, and that was a BAD Idea. First off the first 2 miles are very steep, there are fallen trees you have to get over and its very bumpy. I would't suggest going with a baby. Later, we hit the logging road and we didn't know where to go at first, in end very worth it but not easy at all, I thinking hiking is a better way of going about this trail.

Very fun hike. The first part was tough but worth every step.

So, the first mile and a half nearly killed me but that's what I get for choosing this steep of an incline for my first hike with a pack. Park in or near the moulton falls lot, follow that trail for a while to get to the trailhead. Also confusing past mile 2.5, wasn't sure which way to go once I hit the wider trail as there are no markings. Loved it though- breathtaking view and I'm sore today.

After hiking around the East end of Multon Falls for an hour, my 9 y/o daughter and I decided to head up the Bells Mtn Trail for the first time. I've hikes/bikes the 2+ mile Moulton trial countless times, but never headed up BM. I had read the first mile was quite the climb, and it was, but not horrible. Being April 1st, there was water everywhere and all of the streams were running full. very cool to take in. We made it to the logging road, over a mile in and over 1570' elev then headed back. Great spring hike to see all the water!

Great hike. Great views.

Before deciding on this trail read the reviews. First off, the directions are wrong, the trail head is off of the moultan falls loop trail. The best access is from the upper parking lot. Yes trail was well maintained and great hike! fairly steep at the begining 1.5-2 miles, bit once on top slight rolling hills. Amazing views due to the clear cut logging. Great hike, but not in the favorites..

There were a couple beautiful falls, it defiantly wasn't the hike I was looking for. It was short and easy.

We rode from the parking lot on a gravel road for about 2 miles until we got to the trail. The hike up is very difficult, but the ride down was awesome. A lot of roots and rocks are on the trail. I did not hike my bike to the very top though, I hiked until all the trees cleared out and I could see the scenery. Fun trail.

Completed this trail from South to North. Started at the Rock Creek Campground and took the Tarbell trail to the Bell's Mountain Trail and the Bell's Mountain Trail to the Hantwick Road Trailhead. The hike took about 5.5 hours to complete and covered about 10 miles total. The trail follows Cedar Creek for a couple of miles before ascending through a clearcut and traversing across Bell's Mountain before the descent towards Moulton Falls. There are trail markers every half mile so the trail is pretty easy to follow. On the Bell's Mountain traverse, the trail crosses a logging road and is a bit hard to pick up. Once you get to the logging road, turn right and walk down the road around the corner to the left about 100 yards and you will see a cairn where you can pick the trail up again.

Well kept trail that does lead to clear cut at the top. The trail through the clear cut isn't in the greatest shape, tough on the knees and ankles. Nice view of Yacolt area, Chelatchie Prarie, and Mt. St. Helens. The best part is I can walk to the trail head from my house.

I usually hike or run this trail... Very nice trail to get a fast workout if you run from moulton falls park to the clear cut. You gain about 1000 ft first mile.