Ape Cave Trail

Ape Cave Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cougar, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

old growth

From Vancouver, WA, north on 1-5 to Highway 503, exit 21. Drive east 35 miles to Forest Service Road 83. Turn left and drive 2 miles to Forest Service Road 8303. Turn left and drive 1.5 miles to the trailhead on the right.

This is a really fun hike! There is an upper and lower cave that vary in difficulty but neither is very difficult and an amazing experience. A little further north is the suspension bridge that I highly recommend checking out as well!

absolutely loved this! amazing adventure I suggest if you don't have children to do the harder corse. it is an amazing workout and extremely fun just be careful of your footing ! we have gone 3 times now and wanting to go even more

I wouldn't bring kids under 10 in the current weather conditions, plenty of snow about 2 feet, really had to look for the blue diamonds on the trees that lead you back to the parking lot. snow parking permit pass is required which cost us 22 dollars for the day at the deli in Cougar. the self service at park still had 5 dollars listed as the price since we went there the first day of snow. boots above ankle and headlamps with extra batteries strongly recommended for the cave.

first of all, the photo with the suspension bridge belongs at the Lava Canyon Trail not Apes Cave. Misleading content. I completed both today. The caves are amazing and you should check it out. the upper caves may require a bit of additional assistance for non experienced hikers.

Loved this hike did it late yesterday so it was dark walking the trail back but they have reflectors on tree to find the trail back. Did lower first then upper. Even my 5 year old daughter did it. Would do this hike again.

loved it did it bareback

It was very nice but hard I would do it again though definatly haw bright lights and I would not take kids if you have to carry them!!!

Great hike. Headlamps are a plus so you can have your hands free to climb over the many rock pile obstacles. The lava wall and a couple of really tight spaces to get through made for an awesome experience. I've never experienced complete darkness until this. It wasn't as crowded on the day/time we went and if you turned off all your light sources, you could not see the person standing next to you. Would do this again for sure!

What a fun experience! Our kids 11 and 7 really enjoyed the caves. The upper was a little more than our guest was willing endure. It intimated her with a giant pile of boulders you had to walk over so we have already planned to go back next year. Just like everyone else says.. head lamp are a must.
Cant wait to do this again

great experience and one you cant get in most hikes! definitely a must do early when there are less people. bring headlamps! 150 lumins work the best

best hike yet