Alta Vista Trail

Alta Vista Trail is a 1.8 mile loop trail located near Paradise Inn, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until October.

From the Nisqually entranceon Highway 706, 18 miles on Longmire-Paradise Road to the main Paradise Parking area. The trail starts near the Jackson Visitor Center

Get past all the people and the views of Mt. Rainier can not be beat! This trail starts hard, take your time.

Good hike but crowded

I know what you are thinking . . I will go to the highest knoll in Paradise and have a great place for the sunrise or sunset . . .opppps . . No you won't . . The western views are blocked by trees. If you want the best sunrise spot around Paradise, it's the bridge at Edith Creek. The trail . . As all Paradise trails are . . The first 1/2 mile is paved asphalt . . Currently they are repaving and replacing broken culverts too. . They are doing a great job! I would not recommend this trail.

Great views. We enjoyed Rainier a ton.

We did this hike in August by chance and it was beautiful stumble. The views are amazing. It takes a little effort as elevation is only goes higher but take your time, enjoy the amazing nature of this hike.

All the Paradise trails are beautiful and this was no exception. Gorgeous views in all directions and especially Mt. Rainier. Also look to the south for Mt. Adams and the Tatoosh Range. The wildflowers were peaking the third week of Aug. and were spectacular. The paved trail up is steep, but anyone can do it if they take it slowly.

This trail winds through the alpine meadows of Mount Ranier to a viewpoint at about 6000 feet. On the day we hiked it, the top of Mount Ranier was obscured by fog, but the view of the mountain was still impressive. There were also nice views of the Tatoosh range. And, of course, the alpine meadows of Mount Ranier are a sight in themselves. In addition to the wildflowers, we also saw a marmot.

The trail is paved and generally easy to walk on. While it's rated as moderate, there is one very steep stretch that is a knee-buster on the way down. Wear comfortable hiking shoes and bring a sweatshirt or jacket.

This was my first trail, and I took my mother a long with me. We had to stop a few times for her but otherwise it was lovely. Flowers, a creek, a bubbly pond thingie... and finally the vista point with a lovely view of Mt. Rainier (great place to stop and have lunch on a sunny day.)