York River State Park

York River State Park is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Williamsburg, Virginia that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

sea kayaking

beach

The unique estuarine enviornment is found at this 2,550 acre park serves as a nursery for the marine life throught the Chesapeake Bay. Taskinas Creek and the surrounding marsh within the park are designated as a Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve System in Virginia Hiking only trails include: Beaver (.45), and Mattaponi (.85). Hiking/Biking trails are: Woodstock Pond (.79), and Backbone (1.73). Mountain bike only trails include: Black Bear Run (.25), Laurel Gleen (1.26), and Marl Ravine (4.38). Meh-te-kos Trail (4.22) is bridle only. All other trails are multi use: Pamunkey (.85), Spur (.35), Majestic Oak (.74), Powhatan Forks (1.57), Riverview (1.44), White Tail (.76), and Dogwood Lane (.76). Taskinas Creek trail is closed until further notice. The park has over four miles of shoreline along the York River. Taskinas Creek is approx. 3 miles round trip from it's head waters to it's confluence with the York. Rental canoes and kayaks are availiable or paddlers my bring their own boats. Woodstock Pond is for rental boats only.

Yeah, nice run did the creek loop North, pretty good hills
Then did the river section South and it was nice and flat

Nice nature center and camp store.

As the Education Support Specialist here at York River State Park, I have a couple of corrections to add to this site. First, our park has 40 miles of trails. There is NOT ONE 4.5 mile looped trail. What has been outlined is a combination of Taskinas Creek, Backbone, Mattaponi, and Woodstock Pond Trails. Second, Taskinas Creek Trail has been opened since 2012 (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/blog/taskinas-creek-trail-rebirth-part-1-what-was-lost-3314). It is the left hand portion of the "loop" shown above. Lastly, the photos of Mattaponi, Beaver Loop (it is not a loop), and Pamunkey Trails are incorrect and the Marl Ravine Trail photo is clearly a portion of the York River shoreline. I welcome photos and reviews from the outdoors community. But, I would like for the webmaster of this page to contact me about making some changes for the sake of accuracy.

A beautiful park with views along river, beaches and plenty of miles to hike for the day.

I love this park and have been here many times.

Beautiful views and nice easy trails. Very well maintained park facilities too!

I've run these trails 3 times now. If you want it to yourself then go early in the morning. There's usually plenty of shells to find on the beach. It is kept up very well, however the last time I went there was a tree down covering one of the trails. If you go when it is humid outside then be sure to bring bug spray. The best part in my opinion is how secluded it is. Will be going back this summer to run.

The Taskinas Trail was great, beautiful views throughout the trail. Looking forward to exploring more of the park.

I had planed on spending the day Saturday but it rained all day. Why hike in the rain if you don't have to? So I went today and it was sunny and cool Perfect hiking weather!!! It was so beautiful. The trees had small leaves and the dogwood were in bloom.

Love this Place, they offer a variety of trails for any level. A group of us have begun hiking and biking- we range from beginning to advance… Having stated that each person feels satisfied hiking here. I will note sometime going in the morning is a little busier than in the afternoon so if your looking for solace go at a later time. The views are spectacular. Taskinas is my favorite, it gives me the difficulty I like and the serenity I look for.