York River State Park

York River State Park is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Williamsburg, VA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

sea kayaking

beach

The unique estuarine enviornment is found at this 2,550 acre park serves as a nursery for the marine life throught the Chesapeake Bay. Taskinas Creek and the surrounding marsh within the park are designated as a Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve System in Virginia Hiking only trails include: Beaver (.45), and Mattaponi (.85). Hiking/Biking trails are: Woodstock Pond (.79), and Backbone (1.73). Mountain bike only trails include: Black Bear Run (.25), Laurel Gleen (1.26), and Marl Ravine (4.38). Meh-te-kos Trail (4.22) is bridle only. All other trails are multi use: Pamunkey (.85), Spur (.35), Majestic Oak (.74), Powhatan Forks (1.57), Riverview (1.44), White Tail (.76), and Dogwood Lane (.76). Taskinas Creek trail is closed until further notice. The park has over four miles of shoreline along the York River. Taskinas Creek is approx. 3 miles round trip from it's head waters to it's confluence with the York. Rental canoes and kayaks are availiable or paddlers my bring their own boats. Woodstock Pond is for rental boats only.

I love this park and have been here many times.

Beautiful views and nice easy trails. Very well maintained park facilities too!

I've run these trails 3 times now. If you want it to yourself then go early in the morning. There's usually plenty of shells to find on the beach. It is kept up very well, however the last time I went there was a tree down covering one of the trails. If you go when it is humid outside then be sure to bring bug spray. The best part in my opinion is how secluded it is. Will be going back this summer to run.

The Taskinas Trail was great, beautiful views throughout the trail. Looking forward to exploring more of the park.

I had planed on spending the day Saturday but it rained all day. Why hike in the rain if you don't have to? So I went today and it was sunny and cool Perfect hiking weather!!! It was so beautiful. The trees had small leaves and the dogwood were in bloom.

Love this Place, they offer a variety of trails for any level. A group of us have begun hiking and biking- we range from beginning to advance… Having stated that each person feels satisfied hiking here. I will note sometime going in the morning is a little busier than in the afternoon so if your looking for solace go at a later time. The views are spectacular. Taskinas is my favorite, it gives me the difficulty I like and the serenity I look for.

This park offers the most variety of any trail set in the region - from woodlands to open meadows, wetland vistas, fossil beach and great elevation changes with switchbacks. I stop here whenever traveling through the peninsula.

Great selection of trails that are well maintained. Quite a variety of single track and double track trails. Very pretty overlooks that make the run that much more enjoyable. Taskinas creek trail was good single track with some decent elevation change. Mattaponi, backbone, and the trail from the visitor center to fossil beach are all pretty much flat double track.

My friend and I hiked several of the trails there at Yorktown. We favored the Fossil Beach best, if you travel down further than what's normally expected you see a lot of untouched and non trashed parts of the beach. Watch out for the little sand crabs as your walking! I would also suggest not to go barefoot, there are a lot of barnacles and sharp shells that would destroy your feet and possibly send you to the hospital. We tried a little fishing and didn't catch anything sadly. All in all it is a fantastic park with many different trail options to choose from. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone.

We hike this park often. There is lot of variety. The rangers are nice here too.

York River is one of my favorite parks, although all Virginia State Parks are wonderful. I have the pass (available at any Virginia State Park) and I get a lot of use out of it. Some of the parks seem to have more of a theme while others like York River and First Landing have a wide variety of scenery. Be sure and do the Tankanis Creek Trail and Fossil Beach while you are there but there are many other great trails, from easy to leg burners.

Nice trails.....The day I went saw a couple lizards which always makes the hike more enjoyable.

Extremely clean park areas and the trails were clearly marked. Great for an easy run, as there are practically no inclines. One thing I learned quickly about this park is to bring the bug spray! The biting flies are incessant. Other than that, very enjoyable and relaxing.

We've done Taskinas loop and the leg to fossil beach. Great trails for kids. There is a lot of wildlife/interesting things to look at. $3 on the weekends

mostly easy hikes, good views of the river and nature. some trails are extremely crowded most times but others will almost always provide some solitude. dogs are allowed on a leash, and don't forget the park entrance fee.

Majestic Oak Trail---- This trail is visited by bikers and horseback riders more than hikers because of it's distance from the main day use area of the park. The trail is an old logging road and shoots off from the Pamunkey Trail. Rows of Mountain Laurels are on either side as the trail gets closer to the river. Near the cliff is the Majestic Oak. This trea is said to be over 400 years old. Follow the trail past the horse barrier and walk on the footbridge on the marsh to enjoy a view of the York and watxh for wildlife. Cross the bridge and hike the North Fork of the Powhatan Forks Trail