Wildcat Mountain Loop Trail

Wildcat Mountain Loop Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Marshall, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Settler house ruins and solitude make for a great day! The first part of the hike is strenuous as you have to climb over the 1st ridge using switchbacks, but the hike is flat after that.

nice trail, good leg workout just wish there was more of a scenic view

The website says NOT accessible to dogs.

I thought the trail was easy not moderate. However, I am an active adult and didn't have my children or small dogs with me this time. No awesome views to look out on, but there is a rock wall that runs along the trail a little bit and there are two little rustic building structures that you come across.
GPS tracks this as 2.92 miles

This hike was actually 4.94 miles total !! After reading others reviews , I decided to turn on my Fitbit activity tracker one while we hiked . So ...., 2.9 miles is most likely just the loop portion , plan for one mile up and back . Lots of spiderwebs !! Quiet , rocky and steep in spots . We enjoyed it and it's close proximity to 66 . Would do again for good cardio workout !

Seems a lot longer and was a bit hard for the kids. Very uphill with not many views for a long time. VERY good workout though!

Well, this trail wasn't too difficult for me, but my wife (who is not very in shape) had a very difficult time. There is quite a climb to the loop and the loop itself has quite a bit of up and down. And, on top of that, there really are not scenic overlooks at all - might be better in winter when the leaves are not on the trees. We went on the Tuesday after Labor Day and didn't see anyone else the entire time. Give the number of spider webs I walked through or had to takedown with a branch, I'd say this trail doesn't see a lot of traffic. If you're in shape, it's a nice moderate work out of a hike through the woods. If you're not in the best shape, this is going to be quite difficult and you may well give up before getting to the main loop.

Great for my dogs they dnt really like other dogs during the week in the mornings we encountered one other person with a dog. That's why I pick lightly trafficked trails less dogs an people. I did not see an scenic overlooks think the pictures of overlooks were taken off the trail. There were no mile markers but there were signs to keep you on path. Will go with my dogs again good trail especially if your trying to stay away from the crowd.

Nice hike with good elevation change.l along the trail.

Challenging

Nice hike and a little tough until you get to the loop. No overlooks or pretty views.

3 stars for the difficulty. first half is straight up with a bunch of twist and turns and slightly rocky in places. second half is much more relaxing, smooth trail. well maintained.
no views.
nice little house area people stop to look at.
I went right at the split. pass the house area, and a little further there is a pretty cool small rock formation. best part of the hike.
this is a one time only type of hike, in my opinion.

It was a very nice, maintained trail. I completed the loop in less than two hours. The trail was a little slippery from all the rain this weekend; so I had to take my time going downhill. A great trail if you'd like to get a quick hike!

I brought two dogs with me I'd say it's a little harder than most trails in northern Virginia in the beginning but you can get a nice pace going when you get to the loop