White Oak Canyon Trail - From Skyline Dr

White Oak Canyon Trail - From Skyline Dr is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, VA that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

We hiked from the top ( skyline dr) down to the top of the first falls. (Huge). Very gradual grade, with several wading pools. Beautiful trail. About a 5 mile round trip doing it this way.

Trail is awesome!! Lots of falls! Be ready for a workout!!

wow just wow. we did this trail with an 8 year old, 14 year old, 16 year old and two adults. It was long and buggy in spots but WOW JUST WOW the falls. I have seen 50 waterfalls in the last 365 days and this was a highlight for sure. We were actually able to swim under and play under the falls. The kids thought this was unreal awesome. beware don't startle there are little fish that nibble at your feet at the base of the falls. We had lunch on the rocks under the falls. The water was cold but man you had to do it just to say you swam under the falls. ! :) porta potties at the trailhead only.

I went on a Friday. There were a few field trips there, but I was able to squeeze my vehicle into the lot. I climbed up the White Oak Falls Trail, turned left onto the White Oak Fire Trail, then turned left again onto the Cedar Run Trail which took me back down to the parking area. It was a 7.6 miles journey with a 2263 ft climb, and worth every step once I passed the all of the people at the lower falls. Get there early or go on a weekday if you intend to park for free.

This was a very strenuous, close to 9 mile hike. I carried 2 liters of water but I ran out close to the last mile. There is no cell phone signal all through so download maps if you must. The best part of this hike is that you see streams, waterfalls, and swimming holes all over. Take frequent breaks and get in the water every opportunity you get.

Loved it. 7 and 9 year old hiked it great and we swam in quite a few of the pools. 7 year old loved natural rock slide. Great time, only 4 stars because there were a lot of people.

Amazingly awesome! White Oak Canyon to Fireside trail and down through Cedar. Stopped at the water slide fall for much needed rejuvenation and fun! First hike of the summer and set the bar high for awesomeness!

White Oak Canyon is a great hike! The view of the waterfalls is amazing and there's varied terrain as you go along. Some parts of the trail are quite difficult and the trail gets very steep between the Lower and Upper Falls. This is a popular trail and can become quite crowded.

Even though the trail is great, parking is not. The lower parking lot is really small for such a popular trail and fills up very early. For everyone to be aware, once the parking area fills up, an older guy (who owns the land right next to the parking area) comes out into the road and directs cars to park in this grassy area. He tells you the parking area is full and "they'll" tow you if you park along the street. He makes it seem like he's doing you a favor by allowing you to park, then he charges you $10 to do so. He's probably the one who calls the towing company if you don't park on his property. He seems to have quite the racket going.

TL;DR - The trail is great but parking is terrible. Be prepared to pay some guy $10 to park on his land if the trail parking area is full.

An early start on a rainy day proved to be ideal for this hike. We had the trail to ourselves and the volume of water going over the falls was impressive. Everything looked lush and green throughout. Time well spent... we put a rainy day to good use!

Hiked up from bottom. Good hike, with pretty views of various falls along the way. Nothing amazing, but nice and not too difficult or strenuous.

Recommended.

I give the hike a 5 but because of crowds only a 4. I think I'll try this hike on a Wednesday when it's raining. LOL! I think the trail is easier than the moderate rating but I see others have said it was plenty difficult. I am thinking about bringing my parents on this trail and they are in the their 70's. With them I would definitely stop at the first waterfall. It gets steeper from there. And then yes, a moderate trail for sure. Not easy. Overall, the trail goes downhill first but the climb back up was barely noticeable in terms of incline. Again, others have said otherwise. The trail branches off in various directions for a horse trail and a fire road. We came across a mother and son (separately) that had gotten separated. Terrifying... These trails are so close to the city (DC) that I think it's easy to forget that there won't be street signs (or markers everywhere). And the likelihood of your cell phone working in these hills is slim and none. And you know where slim just went...

Great!!

Beautiful. They mean it when they say know your limits, walking back up from the falls was a killer. But well worth it! The views were amazing, the entire Shenandoah park was awesome.