White Oak Canyon Trail

White Oak Canyon Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

I've done this one twice and both times it was amazing. All of the falls were very active and was well worth the climb. Does get a bit packed if you go later in the day so I advise hitting it early.

One of our favorites did it twice this summer

the rock water slide at the top is the coolest thing I've ever seen in nature. go all the way to the top , it's so worth it. and make sure you wear a swimming suit for the water slide

Great hike, beautiful scenery including several impressive water falls, stream crossings and overlooks. I did this as a ~20 mile backpack and continued on to Indian Run Trail, Nicholson hollow, and returned to the Whiteoak Canyon parking area on the fire road, but the hike featured here is straight up Whiteoak Canyon and back. It's very steep and challenging, especially with a backpack - lots of switch backs and very rocky. This hike goes ~2.3 (~1,600 ft elev gain) miles to Upper Whiteoak falls and then back down to the parking area. It's challenging because of the relentless elevation gain, but I did it with my wife on her first backpacking trip and she did fine.

Great trail. It's harder then it looks but beautiful scenery all around!

Beautiful trail of waterfalls and swimming holes.

Brought 11 year old daughter and 5 year old son. My daughter has been hiking with me since she was 5 and this was my son's first. He did great! We did the out and back and took our time so that he did not tired. Took us about 4 hours with a lunch break at the fall view and 5 minute breaks on the way back up about every 30 minutes. Great trail. Use caution towards the end if you bring little ones due to the rocks.

Didn't do the full loop, just the out and back. Great hik!, watch your step as this trail is pretty rocky.
I brought my dog, and there are some great ponding spots that were easy to get to and deep enough for him to swim around in. also took him to the ponding area right under the falls, however, be careful, the climb down and up can be difficult with a dog - very steep. take your time. and really watch your step in that waterfall area, there are some pretty slick and sharp rocks. I bruised the bottom of my foot pretty well.
and of course bring a bathing suit and a towel to clean your feet! I didn't bring a suit, but I didn't mind getting my shorts wet, and the hike back down is long enough that you should dry off in time.

Good hike with nice scenery. Awesome falls and pools for a dip.

Didn't do the full loop. Just in and out. Beautiful! Will go back in the summer and definitely in the fall.

This trail is very rewarding for how easy the hike is.

Gorgeous and serene, good workout especially if bringing kids. Went in summer and we all took a dip. Great cool down ... Water definitely brisk. If you just stand up to your knees in the upper falls pool, little fish will nibble on your feet. Falls, pools, streams, ferns, huge trees, boulders, ... Overall amazing