White Oak Canyon Trail

White Oak Canyon Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Brought 11 year old daughter and 5 year old son. My daughter has been hiking with me since she was 5 and this was my son's first. He did great! We did the out and back and took our time so that he did not tired. Took us about 4 hours with a lunch break at the fall view and 5 minute breaks on the way back up about every 30 minutes. Great trail. Use caution towards the end if you bring little ones due to the rocks.

Didn't do the full loop, just the out and back. Great hik!, watch your step as this trail is pretty rocky.
I brought my dog, and there are some great ponding spots that were easy to get to and deep enough for him to swim around in. also took him to the ponding area right under the falls, however, be careful, the climb down and up can be difficult with a dog - very steep. take your time. and really watch your step in that waterfall area, there are some pretty slick and sharp rocks. I bruised the bottom of my foot pretty well.
and of course bring a bathing suit and a towel to clean your feet! I didn't bring a suit, but I didn't mind getting my shorts wet, and the hike back down is long enough that you should dry off in time.

Good hike with nice scenery. Awesome falls and pools for a dip.

Didn't do the full loop. Just in and out. Beautiful! Will go back in the summer and definitely in the fall.

This trail is very rewarding for how easy the hike is.

Gorgeous and serene, good workout especially if bringing kids. Went in summer and we all took a dip. Great cool down ... Water definitely brisk. If you just stand up to your knees in the upper falls pool, little fish will nibble on your feet. Falls, pools, streams, ferns, huge trees, boulders, ... Overall amazing

I have done this hike several times. Usually it was just myself and girlfriends or one of the dogs or with the youth group of my church. We bring a picnic lunch and swim attire. It's awesome.

The one time I went with my husband we had an adventure. At the beginning you get to choose: right (which is marked and the path everyone takes) or go left. We went to the left (of course) We saw box turtles, beautiful butterflies, all kinds of insects, and then... a mama bear and her 3 cubs! It was amazing but obviously could've been a bad outcome. My husband jokes that at all he had to do was run faster than I do! (not too hard to do since he is a 15x Ironman finisher) somehow I was never afraid even when we got lost a few times. Getting lost does make for a very long day... But great stories at cocktail parties!

All in all, I've been on several hikes at many parks. This is still one of my 1st and still a favorite... Next to those in Hawaii! :) Happy trails!

Beautiful scenery- gorgeous forest trail winding along the river with plenty of gorgeous views and waterfalls. Saw lots of cool insects, mushrooms and fungi. Trail does not get steep until after the lower falls. You can swim at the lower falls on your hike out to cool off, or there are many other options for a swim! The upper falls was stunning. The trail was not crowded. My husband and I were there on a Tuesday. Temperature was in the low 70s in the am and got into the low 80s in the afternoon-perfect! This is now one of my top 5 hikes because it is so serene and gorgeous!!!

Nice n steady! Waterfalls the whole way!

Used this trail as our family New Year's Day hike. Easy enough trail for our dogs and several family members who are novice hikers at best. The falls are a nice spot to stop and have lunch.

After hiking Old Rag a lot quicker than we expected, my friend and I had the brilliant idea (sarcasm) to hike White Oak to see some waterfalls. The hike trails are clearly marked and mostly clear of leaves (though not as clear as Old Rag since the traffic level isn't as high). However, the drive from Old Rag to this parking lot meant that fatigue and muscle soreness had started to set in as we reached the Upper Falls. Nevertheless, the hike features some challenging switchbacks and really amazing waterfalls.

My wife and I hiked White Oak Canyon since it is closed to Old Rag and it is rainy. It is easy hike course, and six water falls along the trail and beautiful.

My wife and I are novice hikers, we chose White Oak Canyon because it looked like it was a nice hike with the right amount of challenge for beginners. We started from Skyline drive and went down to the first waterfall. There are easy sections and rocky sections so you definitely have to pay attention. Most of the hike you are following the stream. There are many places to stop and take in the view or take some pictures. Saw some snakes along the water side but that was it for wild life. We ate lunch at the first waterfall which is beautiful. The trek back up gives you a good work out - gets your heart rate up. We did it on a Saturday morning in July so there was a lot of people but I wouldn't call it crowded. Took us about 3 hours with the lunch break. As I told my wife this beats a treadmill any time ! We will be back - this was a fun hike!

Came here to find the virtual geocache at the upper falls. Parked at the Skyline Drive lot, and only passed one person on my way downhill. Spent some time at the falls before heading back uphill. Return trip took almost as much time as outward trip.. not because I'm a fast climber, but because I had to take my time on the outbound leg because of the rocks and roots hidden by the recently fallen leaves. Signs indicate this trail is easy to moderate. I agree. A few stretches were carefully groomed, while a few stretches required navigating these rocks and roots on a hill. Passed about 25 folks on my return trip during warmer temps. Strava shows hiking time as 2:09, and reflects some side trips.

A friend and myself decided to go on a short hike in August. The trail is narrow and is a nice peaceful hike. We only saw one person on the trail. The views are stunning and the stream an falls where small, but satisfactory.

We did this hike on an unusually warm day in January. The hike is nice along a stream with good sized waterfalls. I would recommend starting at the lower end of the trail and working your way up. It is a lot easier to walk down hill on the way back. Only downside was how crowded it was.