White Oak Canyon Trail

White Oak Canyon Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, VA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

One of our favorites did it twice this summer

the rock water slide at the top is the coolest thing I've ever seen in nature. go all the way to the top , it's so worth it. and make sure you wear a swimming suit for the water slide

Great hike, beautiful scenery including several impressive water falls, stream crossings and overlooks. I did this as a ~20 mile backpack and continued on to Indian Run Trail, Nicholson hollow, and returned to the Whiteoak Canyon parking area on the fire road, but the hike featured here is straight up Whiteoak Canyon and back. It's very steep and challenging, especially with a backpack - lots of switch backs and very rocky. This hike goes ~2.3 (~1,600 ft elev gain) miles to Upper Whiteoak falls and then back down to the parking area. It's challenging because of the relentless elevation gain, but I did it with my wife on her first backpacking trip and she did fine.

Great trail. It's harder then it looks but beautiful scenery all around!

Beautiful trail of waterfalls and swimming holes.

Brought 11 year old daughter and 5 year old son. My daughter has been hiking with me since she was 5 and this was my son's first. He did great! We did the out and back and took our time so that he did not tired. Took us about 4 hours with a lunch break at the fall view and 5 minute breaks on the way back up about every 30 minutes. Great trail. Use caution towards the end if you bring little ones due to the rocks.

Didn't do the full loop, just the out and back. Great hik!, watch your step as this trail is pretty rocky.
I brought my dog, and there are some great ponding spots that were easy to get to and deep enough for him to swim around in. also took him to the ponding area right under the falls, however, be careful, the climb down and up can be difficult with a dog - very steep. take your time. and really watch your step in that waterfall area, there are some pretty slick and sharp rocks. I bruised the bottom of my foot pretty well.
and of course bring a bathing suit and a towel to clean your feet! I didn't bring a suit, but I didn't mind getting my shorts wet, and the hike back down is long enough that you should dry off in time.

Good hike with nice scenery. Awesome falls and pools for a dip.

Didn't do the full loop. Just in and out. Beautiful! Will go back in the summer and definitely in the fall.

This trail is very rewarding for how easy the hike is.

Gorgeous and serene, good workout especially if bringing kids. Went in summer and we all took a dip. Great cool down ... Water definitely brisk. If you just stand up to your knees in the upper falls pool, little fish will nibble on your feet. Falls, pools, streams, ferns, huge trees, boulders, ... Overall amazing

I have done this hike several times. Usually it was just myself and girlfriends or one of the dogs or with the youth group of my church. We bring a picnic lunch and swim attire. It's awesome.

The one time I went with my husband we had an adventure. At the beginning you get to choose: right (which is marked and the path everyone takes) or go left. We went to the left (of course) We saw box turtles, beautiful butterflies, all kinds of insects, and then... a mama bear and her 3 cubs! It was amazing but obviously could've been a bad outcome. My husband jokes that at all he had to do was run faster than I do! (not too hard to do since he is a 15x Ironman finisher) somehow I was never afraid even when we got lost a few times. Getting lost does make for a very long day... But great stories at cocktail parties!

All in all, I've been on several hikes at many parks. This is still one of my 1st and still a favorite... Next to those in Hawaii! :) Happy trails!

Beautiful scenery- gorgeous forest trail winding along the river with plenty of gorgeous views and waterfalls. Saw lots of cool insects, mushrooms and fungi. Trail does not get steep until after the lower falls. You can swim at the lower falls on your hike out to cool off, or there are many other options for a swim! The upper falls was stunning. The trail was not crowded. My husband and I were there on a Tuesday. Temperature was in the low 70s in the am and got into the low 80s in the afternoon-perfect! This is now one of my top 5 hikes because it is so serene and gorgeous!!!

Nice n steady! Waterfalls the whole way!