Virginia Creeper National Recreational Trail

Virginia Creeper National Recreational Trail is a 66.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Whitetop, VA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

cave

Over 30 miles long and beautiful. Goes through forest, farms and fields. For hiking and mountain biking. Starts in Abingdon VA. The Va Creeper Trail stretches 34 miles from Abingdon, Virginia down thru the lovely town of Damascus, Va (known as the Heart of the Va Creeper) along the Whitetop Laurel River and up to its highest point Whitetop Station near the NC State Line at Whitetop, Virginia. The Va Creeper Trail is open year round to hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding. This former rail bed passes through the Mount Rogers National Recreation area and the highland country of Southwestern Virginia. The Virginia Creeper Trail is rich in beauty and regional history. This is an easy biking adventure that you and your friends will talk about for a long time.

I loved it. This was one of the best rides ever!

Even though it is a rail to trail, there was some serious elevation change. The scenery was great.

Loved the Creeper! Beautiful easy ride that people of all ages and physical abilities can enjoy!

We enjoyed the scenery, it wasn't too crowded. Trail was in good condition and weather couldn't been better.

nice trial, good swimming

Loved it. Great scenery.

I love the Creeper Trail!

Nice trail. Start early in the morning if you want to avoid bikers coming down the mountain. Beautiful scenery especially during fall with the tree leaves changing colors. I imagine it would be nice with snow on the ground as well.

This bike trail is a family favorite. We usually take the shuttle up to White Top and ride our bikes down to Damascus. Approx. 18 miles. - I'd rate this portion as an easy ride and alot of fun! Very scenic with creeks, railroad trestles and bridges and if you plan a trip during the fall, it's spectacular! If you plan during memorial day, labor day, 4th of July...expect alot of bikers on the trail!

The most beautiful stream I have ever seen. We mtb, our way down from White Top about 20 miles to Damascus asuper little spot with shopping and good food, the girls took a shuttle back up while my buddy and I rode back up the mountain about 20 total , taking time on the way up to check everything out, cant wait to go back in winter .This was a Blast.

The easiest 34 miles I ever biked from white top to Abington nice place to eat half way in Damascus trail is kept good .

I've biked from Whitetop down to Damascus and from Abingdon up to Damascus. I've never completed the full trail from Abingdon to Whitetop though. Something on my bucket list. The trail is a wonderful trail for all ages to bike down from Whitetop to Damascus. The gentle decline and many trestles make it a great day trip. Be sure to stop in Taylors Valley to eat some lunch at the Creeper Trail Cafe. When biking up from Abingdon to Damascus it's also a gentle slope but you will need to peddle most of the way, not a strenuous peddle though. Overall a very nice trail. We like to visit it at least once a year.

Beautiful trail. We did 16 miles going into Damascus and it was mostly downhill. We barely pedaled the entire ride. Gorgeous views and a variety of terrain. Highly recommend this trail!

We did 16 miles from Abingdon to Damascus. I am planning to complete the entire trail. Beautiful scenery, Alverado General Store was a cute place to stop off about 8 miles from Abingdon.

Ok

Amazing! Beautiful scenery and an amazing bike ride

We did 18 miles last summer and this year we are gonna do the whole 34 :)